We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers!

Which Benidorm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
first timers!

we are off to Benidorm in July an like to explore surrounding areas ,any tips on where to go and whether to hire a car or catch public transport?Thanks for any help.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers!

Public transport is cheap and generally regular with the exeption of the bus to guadalest which only has one in and one out per day. A lot of people have used the blanket trips for excursions. Ask the question about blanket trips, there are many on here who will be able to give you a heads up. PS. they are free but you would have to sit through a demonstration on blankets for an hour or so. Some swear by them though.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,534 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers!

First of all explore Benidorm particularly the Old Town which you reach by crossing the road from the Don Pancho and walking along the promenade or you could walk through the new town.

We like Altea but have only ever gone there by hire car. I think the no. 10 bus takes you there very cheaply and takes about 25-30 mins. It's a lovely Spanish town with a nice prom. and old Church.

If you like shopping, there's the La Marina Shopping Mall not too far from Benidorm. If you hire a car, remember parking can be tricky and expensive in Benidorm, July will be busy. The hotel does have parking but you'd need to check costs - can be anything up to $15 a night at some hotels!

You could go by boat to Peacock Island but to be honest I've never been and although it's scenic, there's only a restaurant there. Never heard anyone rave about that trip! I understand you can also take a boat trip to Calpe...lovely beach and restaurants there.

Plenty to do and lots of places advertising organised excursions, including the blanket trips. Enjoy!

Jules

rochdale
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timers!

If you are having a weeks holiday it's unlikely that you will find the need for a car, as there is plenty you can do in Benidorm itself and the bus will be sufficient.

If having Two weeks you could perhaps hire for 2 or 3 days if you feel the need.

Would wait until you are there and decide then.

England
Level Contributor
726 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timers!

I hired a car for 3 days about 10 years ago - the only reason we booked it was to visit someone in Javea (spelling?). We also did Altea etc but all those of places are easy to reach my bus and the buses are cheap as well. We were lucky with parking as we were staying out of way and also out of season, in July were the population would be at least double I would say you could find it tricky

My honest opinion is don't bother and get the bus. Blanket trip is a must as it's free...

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timers!

Yep i'd agree with others, assuming you've not been before, i'd just get used to the resort first then use the public bus service to access places others have mentioned. Bus is very cheap at €1.40 for a single trip,

Also depending on where you are staying parking could be a nightmare in July/August time.

Best Regards - Taggy

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timers!

Gaudalest is lovely. Bus taxi, or free blanket trip(just dont buy anything).

7. Re: first timers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Benidorm