We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be very aware

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Be very aware

Just had a call from two close friends, who have just been robbed of 400 euro whilst checking in at the Regente this afternoon.

2 men followed them in as they got off the transfer bus, and whilst they were getting the all inclusive wristbands put on they struck.

Luckily enough the hotel have these low life scum on CCTV the police have been called, so fingers crossed they may be caught.

I feel terrible as I recommended Benidorm and the hotel to my friends.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be very aware

That's awful yorkslee! I hope the culprits get caught but the problem with thieving is needing stamped down on hard! Far too many stories of this happening sadly! It's going to make Benidorm more and more quiet as people can and will choose other places to go! It's so sad cos my hubby and I both love Benidorm but don't want to be looking over our shoulder all the time! I hope your friends can move on from this and enjoy their holiday!

london
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be very aware

Shocking that and we all hope some result of conviction comes out of the evidence that may have been filmed by their cameras. I hope I'm wrong here though but thru the Barcelona forum months maybe even a year or so ago I caught attention that these morons if collered with 400 euro or less were basically swept out the police station and back on the street, names taken etc but it seemed at the time the penalties were not severe enough. Real shame, feel for you.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be very aware

thats shocking im going to the regente in 6 weeks i hope they can still enjoy there holiday regards tracy

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be very aware

just read your report we are going to the regente on the 23rd i knew about the pickpockets as saw them outside the valentino bar in november oh dear hope your friends are ok has the regente having trouble there also

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
129 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be very aware

Awful to hear,

It will be my first time to Benidorm in July and i'm feeling slightly worried with all the stories i have been hearing ;/

scotland
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Be very aware

Terrible news Yorkslee , when you first arrive off the coach thats when you are at your most vulnerable as you are tired and excited , and you let your guard down.

good news they have them on CCTV , the police will be issued with photos , and they will be caught soon enough.

The Pickpockets of Benidorm have to be stopped once and for all , or people will not go back.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be very aware

Although they are devastated, there just going to get on and enjoy the rest of their holiday, plus there going back to the Regente with myself in October.

Armagh, United...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be very aware

same thing happened us last year when we arrived at sol pelicanos, it hasnt put us us as we are planning another trip.

the thing that annoyed me was we read about it before we left andl thought we were well prepared obivously someone was smarter than us.

on the same afternoon i was followed by two eastern european ladies after withdrawing more cash from the cash machine as we had been left pennyless

i would swear they were going to dip me again but when they realised i knew they were following me disappeared.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be very aware

Good for them yorkslee, it's really good they aren't letting it destroy their holiday! I hope they have a wonderful time now!

cornwall
Level Contributor
9 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be very aware

You should not feel bad; it wasn't your fault this happened. The problem is the European Law.

After just returning from Benidorm (8th time) my bag was taken from the chair next to me. I realised within a minute but my bag was found emptied in the ladies toilets. The music was turned down in the bar and someone phoned my mobile. A 'lady' was sitting at the bar and my ringtone was coming from her top. She was sitting shrugging her shoulders. A friend took the phone off her and we made a citizen arrest. The police were in the bar two doors down, so we handed her to the police and explained what had happened. Was she searched? NO. Was she arrested? NO. The reason is the value was under 400Euros. She was seen later in another bar doing the same thing. At the police station I sat with a very elderly gentleman who had had his wallet stolen and elderly lady who had her bag stolen, a young man who had is ruck sack stolen. Guess what, the value was less than 400 Euros.!! So no further action would be taken even if they were caught!

This European Law is a farce and encourages pick pockets to try again and again. We witnessed three lads who had been 'befriended' by 3 Romanian 'ladies' before we could warn them, the 'ladies' had run off and the lad’s wallets were gone. This law also makes the crime figures look good as the amount of prosecutions would be very low as NO ACTION IS TAKEN.

We love Benidorm and would probably go again but it knocked my confidence and ruined the holiday as I then had the hassle of cancelling cards and had to borrow money for the rest of the holiday.

Has anyone heard of this Law? I don't know what the answer is apart from; saying the value taken was over 400 Euros or changing the law.

The other scam is the chap on a street corner with three hollowed out potatoes. He places a bead under one an shuffles them around. Yes you guessed it, guess where the bead is hidden. The scammers win and lose amoungst themselves, but the scam is why you are watching they try to pick pocket you. Advise – just keep walking!

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm