We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mossies in benni

belfast
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
mossies in benni

We have been holidaying in Turkey for the last few years and have been plagued by mossies.

Going to Benidorm 1st two weeks in July, have never been before.

Anyone any bad experiences with mossies in Benni??

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mossies in benni

I get the odd nibble now and again, only got bit once on my hand this time

Port Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mossies in benni

i always get bit quite bad, but my husband and son dont!

last year I had to spend 24 euros in the chemist for cream and this thing that I attached to my beachbag and left on my sun lounger during the day.

Julie

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mossies in benni

Been to Beni on many occasions and never got touched until last October when we stayed at the Ambassador.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mossies in benni

Julie you should by some cream before you go as you can get it for about £3.75 from sainsburys

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mossies in benni

Went April 21st to 28th. OH is a mossi-magent but she never got touched.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,747 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mossies in benni

I'm always badly bitten in Benidorm as well as everywhere else in Spain and Greece, but hubby and son aren't.

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: mossies in benni

The little buggers seem to have started appearing this week !!!!!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
71 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mossies in benni

My mum got nibbled by them the 1st year we went (she must be tasty to them!!!) but has never been bitten since!!

The secret???

Citronella oil!! I get it in Holland and Barrett and if i can i take a citronella candle too and light it on balcony to stop them coming in.

My mum puts a few drops in her moisturiser but i just dab it in my wrists and inside of elbows (pulse points - they help aroma linger) instead of perfume it smells quite strong citrus which i dont mind and at night i use CKin2u perfume and its quite citrus in smell also and i never have any problem with them.

I have also heard if you drink gin it keeps them away but i'm a vodka girl and dont like gin!!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mossies in benni

I remember speaking to someone when I was in The Ambassador last October and they were saying how badly bitten they had been by Mosquitos when staying there. Wonder if it was you yorkslee? Only had one bad bite and even at that it wasn't too bad!

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
379 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mossies in benni

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping to escape these blighters this year after being eaten alive in Thailand last year and counting 33 in Croatia last year :(:( They seem to love me and hate my hubbie (lucky him!). I've tried the 'non western diet with loads of garlic' etc, sprays, repellants, creams etc and between that and prickly heat rash they both peeve me off!

I'll be buying some of that Citronella Oil to try, thanks for the tip! Also, i'm a vodka girl but i'll have a few gins if it helps!

BelfastCinders, it must be our fair Irish skin!!!

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm