We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

peamen

peterborough,cambs
Level Contributor
563 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
peamen

new decoy is a english looking woman,,,,elderly usually white sunhat on

east midlands
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: peamen

Lol

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,990 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: peamen

Can they stoop any lower these people? Thanks for info.because having someone who looks less threatening entices people over more.

Jules

east midlands
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: peamen

just walk by them

Nottingham
Level Contributor
952 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: peamen

We've seen then outside the indoor market opposite the Nereo most mornings, as most will know, they work in teams of around 9 people, 3 of which are the look-outs. They are both men and women of all ages, some dressed smartly and some not so. The 'gambling' bit using the 3 potatoe cups hiding the pea is the ploy. When a big enough crowd has gathered, the team move in from the back looking to take purses etc out of the bags as people watch. Because there's a crowd, the people do not suspect a thing until its too late.

If the Police drive by, they scarper only to return a few minutes later.

Heard 2 elderly ladies had there purse stolen yesterday and apparently, the Police are virtually powerless to do anything about it.

peterborough,cambs
Level Contributor
563 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: peamen

last sunday stood watching and they conned this elderly spanish couple must`ve been in thier 70s any way man cottoned on and starte shouting and throwing punches he got his money back...haha

united kingdom
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: peamen

A never mentioned folks that when i was there it was a english looking guy that police had arrested that was with this crowd ..He only got a ticket but i heard him speak and was english ..Maybe they have others standing inn to take blame ..mazza

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
12,522 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: peamen

I have seen a British young man working with them for many years. Have watched the ones that they hand the purses and wallets to, change their coats and hats inside out, quickly for a colour change as they walk away. The purses are passed onto many different people so it's not likely that they will get caught with anything when stopped by police, because the purse has already been passed to another person.

On the other hand I have seen newly arrived Britsh holidaymakers quite willing to take part in this betting game. They then lose their money as usual and just walk away laughing. If you sit ouside the hotel Nereo (with a drink of course) you will see the Peamen taking money from holidaymakers like taking candy from a baby. There's Always plenty of people seemingly willing to take part in this game.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: peamen

I hate these threads!!! Could worry people sick. I'm going with an open mind.. however please explain what a PEAMAN is so i know what to look out for!!

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
12,522 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: peamen

The Peamen have been there for years and years (don't worry, just keep well away and nothing will happen to you) They are a gang of men and women that set up a gambling game on a cardboard box. Find the pea under the pot. Three pots shuffled about and you have to make a bet and guess where the pea is hidden. Plenty of people play but they always loose their money. Just keep well away.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
779 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: peamen

theyre a group of conmen who set up a table ( usually a folded empty crisp box ) ,at the side of the road. they have 3 cut in half potato shells under which they will put a pea. they will then ask you to guess which potato cup the pea is under for maybe 20 euro . you will get it right the first time, and you will think its easy to win, then you will be asked to bet a higher amount of euros and you maybe bet 50 euros this time--but you will lose.

you will never win--so keep well away---and they can be quite forceful in the way they want you to bet--literally forcing you to bet money.

also they usually have someone whos involved with them placing a bet and wiinning to entice unsuspecting people that its easy to win.

also when a crowd gathers to watch, theyre are usually pickpockets around as people are distracted while watching this go on-- and are not paying attention to their bags or pockets etc

so just keep well away you have been warned

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm