We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanted to share a couple of things

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Wanted to share a couple of things

I'm back home after 8 days in Benidorm, and thought I'd share a couple of things with you all. Don't want to re-open up any discussion on things that have already been done to death, but think it's right that I should put people's minds at ease and report back on what I saw.

After we'd booked, some comments on here made me have second thoughts. I've been lucky to go 3 times this year (Feb, April & August) and each time the place felt very different. It certainly isn't dying, I just think it changes depending on the season and the people. Levante beach was busy, but not packed. I heard a few people say that because it was so hot, they prefered instead to be by their hotel pool.

This time, the Spanish massively out numbered the British. The hotels looked full. A good sign is always the number of beach towels hanging over the balconies in the evening!

I stayed at Riviera, but headed to the Old Town, each time taking a different walk through the town, there and back, to see what was going on. The bigger bars along Calle Genoa, and the Square were busy & lively. The British bars in the back streets tended to be quieter though and the town was very quiet during the day (probably because of the heat). There was more of a family atmosphere rather than the Brits on the p*ss that were there in April. It felt really good, and safe. I never saw or heard of any trouble, or fights, although a few cases of Brits having too much and making a scene. Contrary to what has been said, the area around Morgans/Riudor is not a no-go zone. I walked by quite safety at various times of the day and night. I saw only 1 pea-man, and he was running away from some approaching police. No one offered me drugs, and no hookers offering to show me a good time. (They either just weren't about, or they knew they were barking up the wrong tree). I'm sensible about personal safety having previously had a failed pickpocket attempt on me.

The food was good, the beer was cold, the temperature was blazing. I vaguely remember strolling back along Levante prom at 3am last Saturday and drunkenly declaring to my other half that I hoped that when I die, heaven is just like Benidorm. December can't come soon enough.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanted to share a couple of things

Got to agree with all your comments scoundy ,(if that's allowed ) that's the benidorm i know too & in my opinion the area beside Morgans is not a no go area too I'm glad I'm not the only one that can see that,& I'm not wearing rose colours glasses either,good post,

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanted to share a couple of things

Nice to hear that you had a lovely time Scoundy. Yes Beni does has a different feel to it at various times throughout the year doesn't it, that's yet another of the nice things about the place i think, and helps me look forward to my visits there, no matter what month it is. I think there's only April & November that i havn't been as yet. Hopefully Heaven may be a bit like Beni eh?....Well Jesus is a popular name in Spain of course! Lol!

Best regards - Taggy

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
12,221 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanted to share a couple of things

Scoundy, that's the Benidorm I know and love too. It's also the Benidorm I wish everyone could experience.

And if Heaven is like Benidorm, I hope there's enough sunbeds to go round!

Great feedback...can only hope it doesn't open the Doomsday debate again. Yes we know there's crime, dodgy reporters, a global recession and you can't go out dressed like Mr. T (showing my age now) but for today just let us just bask in Scoundy's glowing review! Lol

Jules

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanted to share a couple of things

Couldn't agree more jules,but we both know it not going to happen,lol.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanted to share a couple of things

I thought it was important that because I'd actually been there, and actually been out and about rather than spending 24 hours a day in an All Inclusive hotel, I was in a good position to give the facts :-)

I'm a sensible (slightly snobby) adult who has been around, and it certainly isnt a rose-tinted view.

Edited: 14 August 2012, 14:09
Tees Valley
Level Contributor
12,221 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wanted to share a couple of things

Yes it's very balanced Scoundy and I consider myself a well travelled, discerning person but it won't stop somebody coming on here and trying to 'save us from ourselves!' lol!

Jules

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wanted to share a couple of things

good report scoundy, and thats the beni i know and love. ive always been between may and sept but going in march next year for a change, and a cheap get away.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wanted to share a couple of things

I'll have a slice of that. Only one big sleep and one little sleep to go...

Leeds
Level Contributor
990 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wanted to share a couple of things

Lovely balanced report and backs up our experience too!

uk
Level Contributor
160 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wanted to share a couple of things

couldn't agree more with you had a great holiday in june going back in october but found you needed to be aware on the stretch from morgans tavern to the indoor market

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm