We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 April 2013, 22:35
Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

ive had the same when people ask where we are going, it just seems to be an image that seems to be passed around

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,551 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

I am going to Spain for the first time and noticed the very high number of posts on Benidorm which I had never heard of before planning this trip. I have a negative view of it solely from the high number of questions related to the price of a pint of beer and similar which suggest to me that it is not my kind of place.

rochdale
Level Contributor
6,500 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

Janet, can I ask which part of Spain you have decided to visit?

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
281 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

Janet, I asked about beer prices before departure. It was a financial enquiry, I just wondered how much spending money to take. It didn't mean I was planning to spend the whole week off my face.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

I dont think the programme Benidorm has done Benidorm any real favours as in what your typical family is like that travels to Benidorm. the programme could introduce a bit more about what Benidorm has to offer apart from pubs, hotel receptions and the beach.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

Hi Mills,

We've had the same reactions from people over the years. One thing I'll never do, is make excuses to anybody for lovin Benidorm. It will always have a special place in our hearts. We met and made friends Spanish, Dutch and English many years ago. We still keep in touch today. We see them twice a year when we are in Benidorm, and we also have friends who still drive down from Madrid. So even going back all them years (I lose count) Mills, yes Benidorm still special to us now, as it was then. Of course we were a lot younger then and hubby fitter,so use to get out about everywhere, and enjoy all that Benidorm had to offer then. I think that's what will always attract people to Benidorm, theirs something for everyone, and I think Beni still got a lot to offer now. I personally don't hold any negative thoughts! But I think theirs definitely a lot of Benidorm snob's about! But Hey, their Loss!

Margaurite

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
281 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

My response has become "don't knock it til you've tried it"!! One thing I really admired about Benidorm, is that it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is - and you get exactly what it says on the tin. Not everyone wants to look round Greek ruins or do goat hurding on holiday, (not that there's anything wrong with ruins or goats) but i can't think of a better destination if you want an easy, chilled "hot sun, cold beer" holiday. I've definitely got the Beni-bug!!!

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
12,340 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

A spot on assessment Mills, Benidorm is unpretentious and accepting with real diversity, sun and great prices.

Mind I've seen a few old goats and plenty of ruins there too, especially the morning after the night before!

Jules

Coventry
Level Contributor
130 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

while I haven't been to benidorm yet I get the same responses too. From people who spend year after year being as pretentious as possible in Ibiza like its a real classy place lol

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Why do so many people hold negatives views of Benidorm?

I think the crux of it all is people have to realise it is what it is. It suits some people it doesn't suit others.

The people that go to Benidorm would more than likely feel uncomfortable in a 5 star resort where you have to wear shirt and tie everywhere and mind your p's and q's etc, and vice versa !!

Benidorm is cheap, and in places, rough, and in place tacky, and all that many people hate about the "brit hell holiday abroad" with foul mouthed brits and screaming kids lol.... whereas to the stalwarts it's home from home and they wouldn't want to be anywhere else, and why should they?

If that's what people love then so be it... nobody should frown or indeed be frowned upon by their choice of holiday - it is THEIR CHOICE!!

Many work hard and save hard to have their holiday, especially in these times of such austerity so why shouldn't they go where they want and let their hair down etc??

I think the good thing about Benidorm is as Jules says, it's diversity - you can see all walks of life no matter what time of day or night - it's the characters that make it!!

Some say the programme is nothing like it - well they must be blind because i have definitely seen the similarities but i love it - it's crazy and it's my escapism. OK, I've not been for over a year but hoping to get back up this year as i can completely be who i want to be and behave how i like (without being offensive) and have a right crack !!

So if people go with an open mind, take it for what it is, and if they really think it's "not for them" then so be it, but they could be missing out on some madness ;-0

CB

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm