We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair Beware.

Which Benidorm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buckie Scotland
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair Beware.

Did you see the BBC programme last week re carrying extra goods on to the plane. All over Alicante Airport are signs stating that by law you are allowed to carry on an extra bag of shopping bought in the airport in addition to your one allowed bag. Well please note Ryanair DON'T allow this and if you cant squeeze your extra shopping into the one bag they will try and charge you 50 Euros for extra luggage, or you have to leave it aside. BE WARNED.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair Beware.

By law you may be allowed to take an extra bag but that doesn`t mean that Ryanair has to allow it.

I am afraid that everyone has to stick to their terms and conditions , without exception.

Graham

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,972 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair Beware.

As Graham says, when you accept Ryanair's terms and conditions when you buy a ticket with them, you give up your right to have the extra duty free shopping bag.

msida-malta
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair Beware.

Take it or leave it .... These are Ryanair Flight Rules for their cheap flight rates .... You have many other options with other Airlines with much more expensive flight rates and also with their own flight rules ...Don't choose to go just with hand luggage to save but pay for an extra 15 kilos luggage and can add all you like in it ...

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,957 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair Beware.

I saw the programme too and Ryanair have the right to restrict it to one piece of hand luggage only despite what the signs around the airport say.

msida-malta
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair Beware.

I went to Girona with Ryanair with hand luggage only and without priority boarding for jus 20 euros return ..I went and returned back to Malta safely ... What can I pretend more then that ... Who want more luxury can do that easy pay the high cost flights .. It's as sImple as that

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair Beware.

He's u saw it too. & has been discussed on here before. Yes people have seen the signs & bought duty free only for Ryan Air to refuse it & tell u to put it into u hand luggage. It's happened to me & lots of others on here ?? Read the T&C that's what they say .

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair Beware.

complete nightmare. Plus ive seen them allow it on the plane, even though its extra hand luggage, at some airports in uk, but at the same time refuse it at others. Its a real contentious issue. I know at one airport Ryanair allowed the extra duty free luggage because, from what ive heard, the airport management complained that Ryanair passengers weren't shopping in duty free, so Ryanair relaxed that rule, but this was at this one airport I know. Whether that's the case elsewhere, who knows.

At the end of the day its ryanairs rules, so its up to them. They only have to conform to civil aviation rules with regards to the contents and handling of luggage, but what they allow on the plane is up to them.

Personally I wouldn't argue the case at the airport, even if there are signs saying you can take extra. If Ryanair say no, its no. All that will happen if you argue is you will either miss your flight, get booted off for aggressive behaviour, which ive seen personally many times, and end up either having to dump your duty free or pay the extra cost.

Whatever it says on your booking, is what you have to stick to.

Huntly, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair Beware.

I have seen the signs at Alicante that bogbobski refers to but last week I'm sure I saw new signs somwhere regarding carry on purchases from Duty Free (either Alicante or Edinburgh) that said "Now includes Ryanair".

I assume therefore that this issue has been resolved?

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair Beware.

well that's another thing, has it? hasn't it? do the Ryanair staff know?, don't they?.......You got to get it right when you travel with Ryanair....lol. This is exactly why I never travel with them, although I wish I could because they are quite cheap...lol.

I might try them next year.

North East England
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair Beware.

We flew to Alicante from Leeds Bradford on the 4th July and there was a 5ft ryanair sign as you walk into duty free stating you can now carry on 1 bag of duty free bought goods (which we did no problem) ......

Alicante however was a totally different story and we were made to fit our bought items in our hand luggage or not get on the plane!! and then had to fit the now bulging hand luggage into their smaller than average cage to prove it was within the dimensions allowed!

It is funny now looking back but at the time was quite stressful when your holding a big line of people up.

I do think it is wrong to have different rules in each airport when travelling on the same airline.

But hey ho it was Ryan air and only 88 pound return so what do you expect really!!

Bring on the next trip!! ;D