We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Cheques - advice please

Which Benidorm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers Cheques - advice please

I have just been online to order travellers cheques for our upcoming holiday in Benidorm. The bank has issued a warning;

"We have been advised that customers could potentially encounter encashment difficulties with travellers cheques in some countries. Therefore we would not recommend for travel to France, Italy, Spain, Croatia or the Republic of Ireland."

We have always used sterling travellers cheques, cashing them at Sheilas or eurotabac. Has anyone experienced any difficulties recently?

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers Cheques - advice please

As you know Benidorm is slightly different than some other resorts. Here's a link to eurochange.

eurochange.es

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers Cheques - advice please

benidorm09, you should give caxtonfx or fairfx travel cards a go, or any other travel cards. Now ive always been a big fan of travellers cheques, but ive got to be honest, I think they may have had their day, plus you always lose out on commission when you exchange them.

Nevertheless I can appreciate your preference for them, as even though I use the travel cards im always still nervous with them. I think its just the travellers cheque lover inside me...lol

Anyway theres plenty of good information on travel prepaid cards out there so its worth looking into them. In fact you could take a mix of both. Take a travel card and travellers cheques so you can give it a try.

Anyway, that's my two pence worth...lol

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers Cheques - advice please

I have searched the internet and can find no warning about travellers cheques in Spain. Our Gov website says you will need your passport or identification to change them but that's all.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers Cheques - advice please

This is what eurochange say:

No commission in our exchanges

Publicado el 18 julio, 2013 por Marta Eurochange Staff

In Eurochange there is no commssionWe get many emails from people who are preparing for the journey to Spain or have just returned from abroad asking if in our exchange offices charge commission with certain amounts of money, since they are different needs and amounts that each customer wants to change.

Today we want to confirm that in the chain of foreign exchange offices Eurochange there are no fees or minimum quantities. The rate of the exchange that we publish in our website www.eurochange.es and on our currency exchange offices is the rate that is received with any amount.

For example if a customer wants to change 600 pounds and another client wants to change 300 pounds, and the rate of the day is 1,130, all you have to do is multiply their respective quantities by the rate of day to know the amount you get. It is just like if you want to change Krones, Franks, Roubles, and Dollars…You only have to multiply the amount that you want to change by the daily rate.

On our website www.eurochange.es we have a currency converter that will help you know the amount that you’ll get according to the rate of the day.

Remember, we are at your disposal if you have any questions, on Facebook, twitter, www.eurochange.es or on 902070689 or send us a email at eurochange@eurochange.es. We have currency exchange offices in the provinces of Alicante, Murcia and Almeria, specifically in: Javea, Albir, Benidorm, El Campello, Torrevieja, La Zenia, Los Alcazares, Mazarron and Moj

England, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers Cheques - advice please

My bank has been saying the same as they told Benidorm09 for about 3 years now. I've never had a problem cashing Travellers Cheques in Benidorm or paid any commision, and I'll continue to use them as long as they are available. Last time I went to Benidorm the lady that gave me the information in the bank that they were difficult to cash was in front of me in Eurochange cashing Travellers Cheques!

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers Cheques - advice please

I have actually read somewhere, think it was in a paper, that C.C are being faised out...

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers Cheques - advice please

I think that within the next few years travellers cheques will disapear altogether,

As more and more people use the superior pre paid cards --- like Caxton fx euro visa card ---- travellers cheques won`t be worth their time supplying.

Graham

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travellers Cheques - advice please

Thanks for the advice one all.

I think we will go with familyof6uk idea of splitting between prepaid card and travellers cheques.

It is amazing how we have embraced most of the worlds new technology laptops, ipads, iphones, android tablets etc., but when it comes to cash in one form or another we stick to what has served us well for years(although I have not written a cheque in the uk for 2 years!!!!)

thanks again for your input

7 days and counting

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travellers Cheques - advice please

That's what I did benidorm09 the first time I tried a prepaid card. I put some cash on the card, then took travellers cheques. And like I said, im a big fan of travellers cheques, but since using the prepaid card ive not looked back, though I still continue to be a nervous user of them. The prepaid card is basically just the same as your chip and pin debit card, and you can use it the same.

Suppose we've just got to embrace it, because its coming. Im also 7 days and counting.

10. Re: Travellers Cheques - advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:19