We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Finestrat

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Le Finestrat

Have just been recommended this town/village as a lovely, small, quiet place for a holiday. As someone in my early fifties, that is what I look for in a sun holiday. Has anyone anything to add or any thoughts on this place please?

I am going to Nerja in a few weeks, for this autumn's holiday, but would find it more convenient to fly to Alicante next year, so am doing a little research.

Thanks for any help. :-)

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
667 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Finestrat

calla finistrat is a loveley little place but imo there isnt enough to do in a whole week

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
121 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Finestrat

I always stay at La Cala de Finestrat rather than in the main centre of Benidorm itself, primarily because i have friends who live there. I much prefer to stay there as it is still within easy reach (IMO) of the centre if you want to explore. La Cala itself has a lovely beach in it's own bay, a number of restaurants & bars and is easy to navigate around. Access is also easy to Poniente Beach, which provides a lovely walk along the promenade to Benidorm Old Town, which i would say takes around 45 minutes at a stroll. Buses run into the Old Town/Levante area every 20 minutes or so and take around 15 minutes to get there. A taxi back, later at night if necessary, was costing me around €7-8 from the Old Town. La Cala is also close to La Marina which is an indoor shopping centre where one can spend a pleasant afternoon out of the sun. Closeby to La Marine is the train station where it is very easy to get to Alicante and other places for a day out if that appeals. It is definitely far quieter than Benidorm main area, but for me, it provides a space away from the buzz of Benidorm but still close enough to access easily. Hope this helps.

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Finestrat

La Cala Finestrat and Finestrat Village are two totally different places, La Cala is nice with a few bars, restaurants and a nice beach Finestrat village is a bus ride away inland and would be boring for a weeks holiday in my opinion.

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Finestrat

Wonderful info guys, thanks.

I would want La Cala Finestrat then, not just the village. The person who recommended it to me just called it La Finestrat, but referred to the lovely cove and places to eat. It certainly sounds like my kind of place. :-)

I usually go for a week on my own and then himself comes out to join me for the second week. He uses a wheeled walking aid and can't walk for great distances, well, not without having a sit down and a rest along the way. It sounds ideal so far. More research for next years holiday I think. Thanks a lot for that folks.

London
Level Contributor
570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Finestrat

I think La Cala Finestrat has all the advantages of being a bus ride from Benidorm but still being a relaxed low-key resort. Also, unlike a lot of quieter places on mainland Spain,where you need to hire a car or pay for a taxi, you can get shuttle transfers, they are usually around only £6 return from Alicante airport if you book through travelrepublic. The Old Town in Benidorm is also a nice place to visit if you like tapas bars and good restaurants.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Le Finestrat

hi, just back from la cala finestrat and we go there every year. we stay at la cala hotel which is right on the beach. you get a stunning sea view right across the bay. the staff are fantastic, its spotless and the entertainment is top notch around you. its quiet as you dont get the usual benidorm nightlife and its so much more relaxed. Molly Malones round the corner is a great resturant for all types of food very cheap too. peters is good tapas bar and if staying at la cala hotel you get a discount. ( it is just next door) the chinese across from the taxi rank (50metres from hotel) is exceptional and so cheap and never busy friendly staff too. there is supermarket just across from the hotel as well but it's not that cheap. there are not many shops around for shopping but a quick 10 min taxi at around 5e will get you to the old town which is the best shopping area i think.

the beach is so beautiful you get sunloungers and parasols at 3e a pop from 8am till 7pm but be quick if you want near the water as the ones at the front are gone by 9am! you dont get the usual beach sellers or noise from the wter sports as main benidorm which was perfect for us. the life guards are there too all day 7 days a week.

the locals tend to relax in this area as apose to main strip in benidorm but they are so friendly and the kids well mannered too. as our little one is disabled we always holiday here for many reasons and the quiet relaxed friendly atmosphere is the main reason.

you never said how many of you were travelling so if you like you can ask away anything you like and i will answer if i can help.

linda

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Le Finestrat

What a very informative post Linda. Thank you.

I am a bit of a late developer as far as travel abroad is concerned. :-)

Hubby doesn't like the heat and isn't too interested in foreign travel, where as I love both! He is happy for me to go off on my own, although I did manage to get him to Gran Canaria a few times now. :-) In the last four years I have done Cyprus x 2, Canaries several times!, Canada, Turkey and Crete/Santorini. Mainland Spain is a first time for me and from what I'm reading here, Finestrat sounds like a good base for me. I'm not one to lay by the pool/beach all day, but I do like to feel "comfortable" walking around and eating out on my own.

As I said, I am away in two weeks for a fortnight, so this is "homework" for next years travels. Thank you all for being so helpful. :-)

Edited: 29 August 2013, 10:45
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Le Finestrat

hi,

la cala finestrat is very safe to walk about even at night as it is very well lite and is policed well too. you should feel comfortable there no probs and i noticed your hubby has mobility problems so you may be pleased to hear the place is completely flat so getting around is not a problem. The la cala hotel i was talking about also have a apartment block just behind the hotel which is at the top of the only small slopping hill there is in the area but pushing a wheelchair up it isn't a problem at all. the apartment block has a pool but the hotel doesn't but being right on the beach we didnt miss it at all.

enjoy your holiday in two weeks and give it all some thought for next year if you want tips on types of shops, resturants or place to visit just ask take care

linda

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Le Finestrat

Great info Linda. I will save this thread. :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Le Finestrat

Has anyone who has used a transfer company, recommend please? I've just checked Resorthoppa and they quote a shared shuttle for €8, journey 60 minutes. The private transfer is same time but €137! Is this about the norm?

Edited: 01 January 2014, 22:50
Get answers to your questions about Benidorm