We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter by-laws now passed

Scooter by-laws now passed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 16:04
The Downhill Bike Ride
Bike Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Round Town Travel
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Benidorm Train Vision
Rail Tours, Sightseeing Tours
suffolk england
Level Contributor
380 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Scooter by-laws now passed

sorry guys ive overreacted again i do know that

Sliema
Level Contributor
536 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Scooter by-laws now passed

I like to respect everyone because a time might come and I would/might be in their situation. Firstly I have always been sensitive to people's problem and handicaps. It is a good way to look at life. I love Benidorm and it seems that I am always looking out for those in trouble. Those with wheelchairs or scooters who cannot climb a pavement. This is also a way of making new friends. But at the same time I expect Scooter users to be responsible at the way they drive them. They are not toys. My idea which maybe is not welcome by many is that the users bring a doctor's certificate saying they require a scooter etc. It is after all a vechile. Also these should be banned for people under a certain age. I have been to Benidorm many times with teens circling around you making you feel threatened. The shops should lose their license.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Scooter by-laws now passed

Trust me Composliema, my husband wouldn't require a doctors certificate to prove his handicap as it's patently obvious from the minute you set eyes on him! Apart from that, anybody could go to their doctor with an imaginary sore back a couple of weeks before their holiday and be issued with one. I think someone's idea before of having to show your blue badge before getting one is one answer. Another would be if the person with blue badge didn't want to take it on holiday with them, would be to show their letter of entitlement to the high rate of DLA. Just a thought!

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Scooter by-laws now passed

<<Also these should be banned for people under a certain age.>> so does this mean a disabled 12 year old is not entitled to have/use one?

This cannot be policed properly, end of story - and it will be interesting to see how they try and police it in 2014!! >>> Get your video phones out peeps :)

The companies hiring out the scooters cannot be blamed for who they hire to, they are in business - simples!! It's the hirers that "if caught" should be issued on the spot fines, confiscations of passports until the fine is paid!! When the hirer takes over the scoot, then they should be made to sign Terms And Conditions which state these new "bylaws" that say this and that bla de bla.... then the onus is on the driver/rider to be responsible !!

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
12,667 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Scooter by-laws now passed

It does indeed mean a 12 year old isn't entitled to hire one. The minimum age is 14 in this country and whilst the enforcement will be difficult, hire companies will have to 'up their game' I'm afraid.

Bars have difficulty ascertaining whether a customer is 18 but the onus is on them to enforce it or they and the under age drinker can be prosecuted.

Of course there's no water tight way of 'policing' this but this new bye law carves the way to more sensible enforcement. And rightly so, these scooters weigh 26 stone and with the combined weight of the rider, they can cause some damage taken out en-masse for a laugh by drunks!

Jules

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Scooter by-laws now passed

Can you not hire the lightweight ones for smaller people though? I know some that only way 10kg - not sure what the bar owners have to do with a 12 year old being able to ride a scooter though !!

So they would have to hire a "push" wheelchair i presume then? Is it the law in Spain for no under 14's to be able to ride the scoots then? Didn't even know there was a law for this as they're not classed under the "motor vehicle" class as not registered for road use.

Interesting, thanks for the info Jules.

47. Re: Scooter by-laws now passed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 10:05
Sliema
Level Contributor
536 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Scooter by-laws now passed

ShezzaEdinburgh, Good Morning. I totally understand what you are saying. I wish to go to Benidorm again this year but afraid I won't find a wheelchair. I can walk but not for long periods. But I have been given hope by some people who said I can rent one from here and take it to Benidorm with me. No one likes being in this situation but there is no need to give up on life.

suffolk england
Level Contributor
380 posts
Save Reply
49. Re: Scooter by-laws now passed

i really do enjoy my life when alloud to shezzabut some people just get up my nose when will public flogging begin or stoning most of us are only people trying to enjoy a holiday and why should you hire a wheelchair please dont its hard work my wife pushed me around for 2 weeks when we first went and had a heart attac when we got home dont be put off i wont be bullied and remember this quote let those of you without sin cast the first stone

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Scooter by-laws now passed

I totally agree with you Dino! Some of the comments on here about only using mobility scooters on the road is just ridiculous. The genuinely disabled shouldn't be made to feel like a nuisance. As I've said before, it took a lot of pride swallowing for my husband to hire a mobility scooter for the first time and it didn't help when he was turned away from a hotels outside bar because they said no scooters allowed. He can walk but the floor surface was too smooth and shiny for him to be able to walk on it, so ended up having to leave. Thing is, we had only stopped there to have a look because we were thinking of booking to go there! No chance after that! By the way, this was 11.00 in the morning and the place was empty!

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm