We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorway stopovers France

Bolton, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Motorway stopovers France

We are travelling from Calais to benidorm using e15, a75 etc. are there hotels on route without coming off the motorways.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
536 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorway stopovers France

There are loads of hotels but they tend to be just off the motorway. Some of the service stations have hotels but they are few and far between and get booked early. We drive to Spain each year and plot our stopovers destinations first then find hotels near. Booking.com is good as they have a searchable map.

On route to Beni last time we stopped off in Millau then Barcelona, but we vary each year.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
536 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorway stopovers France

This is a good website which has routes, hotels etc

about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorway stopovers France

Just curious, how long does it take to drive from uk to benidorm?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
536 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorway stopovers France

Well depends where in the UK you are but from Calais it is about 16 hours driving time via Paris we break the journey up though and it is not for the faint hearted lol.

Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorway stopovers France

Wow that's quite long! I would imagine it can be a nice drive though with all the different scenery etc. My bf has no patience with my driving as it is think ill stick to plane lol

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
536 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motorway stopovers France

Haha my other half loves his driving, yes it is a scenic drive not so much though the North of France but nicer the further you get. The Millau viaduct is stunning.

Plus we get to stock up with as much beer, wine and French cheese on the way home as will fit in the boot, hic!.

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Motorway stopovers France

Drove down through France once, never again I use the Portsmouth to Bilbao route now on the Sunday sailing out at 2230hrs that docks in Bilbao at 0745hrs on the Tuesday, nice relaxing 2 nights on the boat and steady drive down to Benidorm and I am there at about 1700hrs hours. After taking in to account the extra fuel, over night accommodation and motorway tolls through France it doesn't work out much more expensive.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motorway stopovers France

Have a look at the Spain driving guide here- tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c86680/Malaga… some of whose advice ( the bits about how the locals drive for example) seems over cautious or even hysterical,

but the suggestion to use www.viamichelin.com for drive times and estimates of toll costs is great- its my preferred European route planner and gives- for example- 18 hours/1125 miles/ and a stonking £139 in tolls for your route. This assumes toll motorways but its timings are on the optimistic side; driving at the limit with no stops ( not even for coffee or fuel!) and no hold ups so I'd add 20% to its drive times.

And given that route is fast but pricey, Viamichelin lets you try other, slower, cheaper (toll-free) or more scenic routes.

We prefer to take it easy, and stay at country places, but when zooming through we use budget hotels such as the Ibis, accor, Etap range- often near motorways and good value. You can zoom in on the map at http://www.ibis.com/

Edited: 02 February 2014, 20:51
London, England
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motorway stopovers France

Have a look at the Spain driving guide here- tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c86680/Malaga… some of whose advice ( the bits about how the locals drive for example) seems over cautious or even hysterical, although it is aimed at Americans!

but the suggestion to use www.viamichelin.com for drive times and estimates of toll costs is great- its my preferred European route planner and gives- for example- 18 hours/1125 miles/ and a stonking £139 in tolls for your route. This assumes toll motorways but its timings are on the optimistic side; driving at the limit with no stops ( not even for coffee or fuel!) and no hold ups so I'd add 20% to its drive times.

And given that route is fast but pricey, Viamichelin lets you try other, slower, cheaper (toll-free) or more scenic routes.

We prefer to take it easy, and stay at country places, but when zooming through we use budget hotels such as the Ibis, accor, Etap range- often near motorways and good value. You can zoom in on the map at http://www.ibis.com/

Edited: 02 February 2014, 20:52
Telford, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motorway stopovers France

I enjoyed driving down, we didn't stop overnight just went for it.

When I came down on my motorbike we stopped overnight in

Orleans and Perpignon in Formule 1's.

I'd like to try the toll free route next time

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm