We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refund of holiday insurance

Which Benidorm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield
Level Contributor
932 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Refund of holiday insurance

In October I took out a policy for people with existing health problems .We were hoping to be going back next week but I haven't booked because I haven't been too good healthwise.Been to Doctors and got to have xrays and blood and breathing tests so it doesn't look as if I shall be going any time in the near future. I paid quite a lot of money for the insurance and was wondering with there being 5 months cover left on it would they cancel the rest and refund me. Or is this a daft question. Thank goodness I wasn't abroad when I took bad this time

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Refund of holiday insurance

No it's not daft. I think you would be able to get some money back. Phone up anonymously first on behalf of a friend and find out what's your best option to take.

13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Refund of holiday insurance

I would say you have no chance, sorry.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Refund of holiday insurance

If you can't get any money back ask them if they would defer it, to a later date.

13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Refund of holiday insurance

Jeny even if they agreed to your suggestion to defer, which is extremely unlikely the OP will have further medical complications by then.

Sorry but you are raising hopes without realising the problems involved.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Refund of holiday insurance

There is never any harm in asking. If you don't ask you don't get. They can only say Yes or say No, then cybernan will have her answer. I have been able to defer a policy but it was a few years ago.

peterborough,cambs
Level Contributor
561 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Refund of holiday insurance

Sorry you've not been well cybernan,hope everything turns out ok for you & you feel better soon.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Refund of holiday insurance

Hi cybernan

So sorry to hear you've been poorly, and I wish you a speedy recovery. Been in a similar position cybernan. Approx 5/6 months after taking out annual insurance one year, hubby not too good. Thought no way we'll be going away, but rang insurance company anyway and told them about tests. We'd already had the one holiday, but it was the second trip I was worried about, which at the time hadn't booked! What I did was ring the insurance company and informed them of hubby's tests etc, they told me provided the results OK, I would be covered for future trips/duration of the policy as we didn't know/for see about the tests prior to taking out the policy. I asked at the time in case hubby wasn't up to the trip regardless of outcome, would I be entitled to any refund if we didn't continue to use the policy, and was told no. Only cooling off period for 14 days when taken out.

Firm believer Cybernan, as Jenny pointed out, if you don't ask ....Check with insurance company, as TCs can differ! Our situation slightly different in we had used the policy for one trip. Good Luck! And once again, a speedy recovery!

Margaurite x

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Refund of holiday insurance

So sorry to hear you're not well cybernan,but,as you say thankfully you didn't take ill on holiday.Can't say if you'll get a refund or not....just know I was quoted £608 and 17 pence for insurance for auntie,was working out more expensive than her weeks holiday,so I know you can pay quite a lot of money for insurance.As others have said,phone and ask if you can have a refund.

MARGARET

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Refund of holiday insurance

id say very unlikely, it says in the small print on my policy that if you cancel after the 14 day period your not entitled to a refund in part or full as you are deemed to have been covered from the start date.

10. Re: Refund of holiday insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Benidorm