We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

Hi I'm going to Beni for the first time with my family including 18 month old, we're staying at Sol Pelicanos/Ocas. Any tips on places to go (or avoid!) and any need to know basics about Beni much appreciated.

Thanks all

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

First of all welcome to the forum. You will love Benidorm, there's so much to see and do.

The Pelicanos is in a wonderful location right in the centre of loads of shops, bars etc and only 5-10 minutes walk to the beautiful beach and promenade. Just along the road from the Pelicanos is the very popular indoor market and on a Wednesday and Sunday there's the outdoor market. Try and get there reasonably early as you literally can't move after about 11.00am. It's worth it though.

If you see a group of men with a small table with potatoes and a pea, do not stop to look keep walking. They are the notorious pea men who will not only cheat you if playing their game but also have accomplices behind the crowd ready to steal purses and wallets. As I said just keep walking and you will be fine.

If you want away from all the hustle and bustle take a walk into the old town. It's about a 25-30 minute lovely walk along the promenade and is really worth going to. I walk there and back most days when I'm there!

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

The sun is already hot. A baby can get a bad sunburn very quickly, even in mainly cloudy weather so be careful. Clouds shop infra-red radiation, which is heat. Not ultra-violet radiation, which tans you.

Remember, babies can crawl through tiny gaps in balcony railings and drown in a few inches of water. You have to keep your eye on them all the time.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 08:22
peterborough,cambs
Level Contributor
565 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

Agree with Kaneda,I would also take a sunshade for pushchair,the sun can be very fierce here,have a great holiday.

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

fantastic CLEAN sandy beaches (large sun shades available to hire for €4 a day keep little one out of the direct sun, apply suncream more often than you would in the UK.

as shezza says loads of family bars for a quiet drink, once you get there you will just be surounded by things to do.

if as a family you fancy going seeing dolphin/sea lion/parrot shows at Mundomar look out at the airport for discount vouchers which give you a good discount on entry.

regarding safety ~ just use common sense, keep wallets/purses out of site in a secure pocket, dont wear loads of gold jewelary and dont accept any free offerings in the streets ie: roses etc as they are just a scam and will cost you one way or another.

if you fancy a break from walking and a chance to see the resort jump on one of the small street trains that tour the areas nice way to see places to go without the hike on foot.

the old towns a lovely area for shopping and a slightly quieter beach and bars to site relax and watch the world go by.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 09:34
Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
8,058 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

remember the baby must have its own ehic card, hopefully it wont be needed ,

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

EHIC cards, the Spanish nhs clinic is on the road at the back of the Pelicanos. Clinic is behind the hotel Ocas. You will need to take Ehic card plus passport. You can see a Nurse at this clinic for minor problems or a Doctor for something more serious. The chemist next door to the clinic is excellent. On the same road opposite the clinic is a large underground supermarket where you can buy almost everything you need for your children.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

Hi all thank you so much for all your excellent info, very much appreciated. Can't wait 3 more sleeps :)

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

I wouldn't be taking the baby to the markets, nothing for a toddler in/at them.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
12,329 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

Funny enough Wellyboots, my husband extends that argument to middle age men too! Lol

Jules

belfast
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time & going with 18 month old, advice and tips pls

Agree with boots no point taking kids to market.

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm