We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd time wasn't the same

Which Benidorm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2nd time wasn't the same

I went back full of beans and couldn't wait to get there but came back with no desire to return. 2 of our party were mugged and we were offered drugs every 30 mins not to mention a prostitue on every corner. The place is a Mecca for scrotes and theives. Because of this on the last couple of days we opted to go out during the day but the downside to this is when the neon signs weren't flashing and the sun was shining you could see the shocking state of dis repair everything is in. I would recommend it to stag and hen parties on 2 night stopovers but as for families I couldn't take mine anyway. I feel really gutted because I loved the place first time round I hope I do return again some time in the future but probably at retirement age.

chesterfield
Level Contributor
623 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd time wasn't the same

so sorry you didnt enjoy benidorm but thats the reality of the place becoming more famous= more scrotes

i have seen certain things deteriate over the last few years,its not enjoyable when you have to be on guard 24 hrs a day.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd time wasn't the same

That's such a shame because you were bursting with excitement to get there Glastonbury. Maybe it was all a bit of an anti-climax to the anticipation?

Sorry to hear about the 'muggings'. By this do you mean they were physically menaced into giving money or dipped/robbed? I'm not justifying either in any way but mugging suggests violence or a threat or violence. Hope they're ok anyway, it's a terrible thing to happen. The Maryciel Apartments are very low rent I'm afraid and wouldn't give the best impression.

Just a shame you've been left with this disappointment. If I'm honest, that's why we go 'out of season'. It's a totally different place then but parts of the new town are seedy and tatty I'm afraid.

Jules

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd time wasn't the same

Hi Glastonbury97

Remember you counting the weeks and then the days. Can understand how you feel. And I agree with your description re state of dis repair in some parts. Yes neon lights/signs can hide a multitude of sins..Lol Sorry to hear about two of the party being mugged. Hope they are OK. Have you thought about giving a different area a try? May be Poniente, Albir, Altea or La Cala for eg! Hopefully if/when you return in the future, things will have changed for the better!

Margaurite

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd time wasn't the same

I also prefer out of season/low season...lots less knobheads about and you get to know the place a bit better without the humdrum.

cornwall
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd time wasn't the same

Bloody hell so sorry to hear about your holiday was it really that bad . We went for the first time in april and like you loved it and are like you full of beans waiting to get back, we will be there height of the season in july and after reading this am now worried. Maybe out of season is best time to go as everyone is saying.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd time wasn't the same

The first had his chain ripped off and the lad run away and the 2nd was tripped over and kicked while his wallet was stolen. Nowhere near the hotel but yes I agree it is very low rent.

derbyshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd time wasn't the same

Give the old town a try-Hotel Colon, Poniente Side-its totally Spanish, a different and far more pleasant world.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd time wasn't the same

Sickening! No wonder it put you off Glastonbury. Hope you managed to enjoy parts of it though.

Jules

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2nd time wasn't the same

That's a shame! When you were so looking forward to it.

We also went for the first time in Sept for a week. Loved it so much we booked for 2 weeks this Sept!

We are staying in hr royal at the edge of old town. Though we spent most nights in new town. Walking home early hours in the morning. Do people think it's not safe to do that?

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2nd time wasn't the same

We did it when we stayed at the Royal a couple of times Linda and felt safe doing so but it was always in April.

Just stay on the main road through and you'll be fine. Lovely hotel the Royal. But leave the gold at home is my advice (and I know it's sad that we have to).

Jules