We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your help needed please

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
437 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Your help needed please

Hi all my hubby and I are thinking of spending a week in Benidorm from 27 December can anyone tell me what to expect at this time of year ie weather wise, will shops and bars be open and places to visit if the weather isn't too good. I am not expecting the weather too be too warm not bothered about that just want to get away for the new year and thought we would try Benidorm as we have never visited before, we usually go to Barcelona at this time of year but fancied a change this year so any hints, tips or advise would be much appreciated. Thanx

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your help needed please

we spent 1 new years day lying on the beach it was red hot , but have been other months nov/ jan where it has been poor , its nice staying in a hotel for the splendid new years celebrations, we went round a few bars after Spanish new year, we really enjoyed it . I don't like xmas away has we have young grandchildrewe flew out on the 27 dec would do it again.

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
437 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your help needed please

Yes we also want to spend Christmas at home with our grandchildren but prefer to get away for new year when you were in Benidorm was there plenty to do at that time of year and was everything ie shops, bars restaurants open?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your help needed please

I was in benidorm for The month of January & 1 week feb, yes lots still open ,lots closed too but beni git enough shops & pubs that u don't really notice , weather was very good this January , a few times I was sunbathing by pool chilly at night though, have been before in jan & it was freezing so u can't tell about the weather,

I'm going for 5 weeks again in January so hoping for more of the same,

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
437 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your help needed please

Thanx a lot for your replies Hazel1952 it mustn't be too bad if you are going for 5 weeks weather must be better than in the North East England haha. Always freezing here.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your help needed please

yes most of the bars were open, it was as busy as ever when we went, a lot of bars put on sandwiches snacks etc ,we really enjoyed would do it again.

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your help needed please

We've visited Barcelona over Christmas in the past & to be honest prefer Benidorm hence we are visiting again for Christmas this year.

If you are visiting over the new year,then nearly everywhere I would say will be open.It's one of the peak times.

Last time we stayed Christmas & noticed towards the new year 30th & 31st it seemed to get busier.Like there was a lull in between.

You will definitely need a jacket for the evenings.The weather can be nice & sunny in the day,especially if you find a bar with a sheltered spot,but I have know it rain as well.It;s hit & miss,but much better temperatures as you would have found with Barca.

Don't miss the firework display on new years eve.It's at the Plaza Triangular (the old town end of the Avenida Mediterraneo)

There is the tradition of welcoming the new year in by eating 12 uvas (grapes) & there's free Cava.

A lot of people head into the old town then to the many bars,which then welcome the U.K new year in at 1.a.m.

Have you decided on a hotel choice yet..?

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
437 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your help needed please

Thanks we are definitely going from 27th December staying at sandos Monaco Hotel. Looking forward to going now you have put my mind at ease thought it may be too quiet. We have enjoyed new year in Barcelona where they also celebrate with the tradition of eating the twelve grapes hard to do when you are slightly drunk ha ha. Any more information or tips on places to visit would be much appreciated as this will be our first visit to Benidorm and would like to get out and about I believe that Altea and Denia are lovely little places to visit.

east midlands
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your help needed please

It's a lovely hotel and we would say when cold outside it can be a very romantic holiday if romantic room has been requested have a lovely new year cheers mike and susanna xx

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your help needed please

Denia's okay for a visit,but Ohhhhhh Altea....now where do I start.lol !! Love this town.!!

Spent many a day here on my days off,& it's just lovely.

From the Monaco hotel,you could take a taxi or bus up to the main train station, or you could take a bus all the way to Altea from Benidorm,but personally I prefer the train.

You could walk up to the other train stop Disco Benidorm in about 15 minutes from the Sandos anyway.

You'll see the blue dome of the church as you pull into the train station.

Just cross over the railway lines where the barrier comes down at the entrance to the car park,at the back of the station (not the road side) & you will see a path going up.

Just follow this up.keep walking up,it bearing kind of right,although the streets twist & turn,you will eventually come to the church square at the top.The walk up is lovely,looking at all the white houses.

There are terriffic views from the top looking over to Benidorm & Calpe,and if you walk left from the main church doors slightly downwards & through the archway at the bottom,there are lovely views of the mountains behind.

Favourite restaurant is Stromboli on this same narrow road,(Carrer Major),although it was closed when we went last time,so I will be emailing them myself before we travel at Christmas as it may have been a one off with it been inbetween Christmas & new year & I would like to know if they are open this year.lol !!

There's other nice places to eat,& small shops selling local ceramics & local artists works etc.

If you then head down into the Town,it's not very exciting,just a normal working one but the beachfront is nice,and there are some nice places to eat & drink along there..

You can then get back to the train station along the road that runs parallel to the beach front.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 23:21
Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
437 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your help needed please

Thank you for your in depth info much appreciated would you recommend visiting anywhere else ?