We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

UK
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

Hi I'm busy sorting out a weekend away next year for a large group of almost 30 men.

I contacted a hotel direct for a price, yet with booking.com for exact the same deal, 3 nights B&B it came out nearlt £90 cheaper, is this the norm??

I'd always thought direct with the hotel would get the best available price..

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

No hard & fast rule, you've always got to shop around!

Best Regards - Taggy

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

Big companies get good discounts due to high traffic and customers booking hotels through their sites.

So yes it is quite the norm.

Leeds
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

That's quite normal. In my experience more often than not it's cheaper to book though an agent than direct.

I'm staying at The Regente in September and it was quite a lot cheaper booking through Travel Republic than with Med Playa directly.

The only problem you may have is that a lot of places will not take bookings for large parties and some will only let you book for a minimum of 7 nights as they don't want stag/hen parties e.t.c. who are normally on short breaks. It might be to do with the rowdyness but also they don't want rooms vacant through the week.

Sue

Sue

Edited: 13 August 2014, 13:39
UK
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

Hi

Thanks for your help!

Sue, in my email to the hotel I was specific in telling them it was a large all male party (we are not a stag do, we're celebrating a 50th so the other end of the scale) as another I'd contacted told me they wouldn't accept us - I completely understand their view point.

So i wanted to be up front with this other hotel, they didn't seem to have a problem at all, neither with it being for only 3 nights nor a large all male group.

Thanks again!!

Leeds
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

Oh that's good then. It's better to be transparent about it rather than trying to hide it by doing separate bookings

It's not worth risking in the long run.

Great stuff!! Where is it you're staying?

Sue :-)

UK
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

yep thats what i thought, didn't want to turn up with 30 of us and them turn us away because I'd tried to hide the fact, i have heard a lot of places are clamping down on large groups - with good reason.

I've been in touch with a few hotels but they either want minimum stays or don't accept large groups or both.

Hotel Presidente will accept us, as said earlier direct with them its approx £325 but with booking.com its around £240.

Been in touch with costa-blanca-transfers and they seem pretty good, so its just flights we're wating for to come out.

Leeds
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

Costa blanca private transfers are good too.

Oh that's a big difference in price.... it's good that you shopped around.

Presidente is a decent hotel and it's in a good location too.

Sue

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

Cue Caroline ?

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

try booking your transfers with travel republic its really cheap plus if there is alot of you you might fill up most of the coach then you won't have loads of drop offs because you will all be getting off together vicky

Merseyside
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheaper with booking.com than with the hotel??

Travel Republic have good prices on accommodation & you can pay £1 deposit with balance due 3wks before! This may help if your collecting money from a large group?

For transfers we also use Travel Republic, but have occasionally found Hopparide.com a touch cheaper & equally good service. .

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm