We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If the bars think last year was bad.......

Benidorm
Level Contributor
6,351 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
If the bars think last year was bad.......

This year is even worse. According the UK office of national statistics this years first 6 months is 16% down on last years spending for Brits abroad. This shows that the all inclusives are not the main problem as there has been no extra ones opening recently. It's all down to the Brit spending power. Exchange is better but not enough to cover wage decreases.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If the bars think last year was bad.......

During the winter the H/B and F/B hotels were giving two for one drinks, all day happy hour, or some even offering lower bar prices than the outside bars on drinks and refreshments. People were staying in the comfort of the hotels at night. Also people buying drink in from the supermarkets and drinking in their apartments before venturing out later.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If the bars think last year was bad.......

We thought it was really quiet this year, went mid July. The old town seemed to be busy at all times but the new town seemed to be virtually empty during the day.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If the bars think last year was bad.......

May not be more all inclusive hotels Ste, but I'm sure there's more people actually booking all inclusive nowadays. The Hotel occupancy in Benidorm is consistently high and that's where more people are spending their time and money these days, rather than in resort.

Def not as much spending power from typical UK residents as well though, we've all had to bite the bullet...well not all of course, the wealthy have done very well out of Austerity it seems.

Best Regards - Taggy

Edited: 14 August 2014, 16:10
Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
655 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If the bars think last year was bad.......

Agree with all of the above also for tourists and ex-pats savings are diminishing with interest rates at 0.5% so we are been stuffed all ways up and they say we are all in it together.

I have said it for years and I reiterate it I would not open a business/bar here.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
430 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If the bars think last year was bad.......

Good comments, Taggy. It seems to be a combination of reasons, reduced spending power, more all inclusives and is Benidorm just becoming a short break destination for a few months?

People talk about AI taking trade away from pubs at night but FB has been doing this with places selling food. Full Board is often only two or three euros a day more than Half Board. I think it's mainly families/couples doing AI, Stags n Hens don't seem too...so perhaps bars that cater for them are doing okay.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,889 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If the bars think last year was bad.......

Depends on the guest,we do all inc,but most days we either eat lunch or dinner out and go out for a walk every evening and have drinks,we never use to do all inc but last few years its only being a couple hundred at most between sc and all inc,so we've booked all inc,because we get breakfast other meals and snacks when we want,and drinks,but we still spend the same amount we allways have,because if we want to eat out or go out we do,but we are constantly saveing all year for our holidays main one in summer hols,then october school hols usualy benni or Malta,we do a long weekend in France and one Barcelona but that only costs us cheap flights as go out of season and we have family and friends we stay with there,but agree money dosent go as far these days,we've found were constantly saveing for our hols,and rarely go out at home these days where as before we allways had a little to spare not so much now,its the working folks like us the recession has hit,after all the rich still seem to be spending as normal,so it would seem were not all in it together,even tho mr Cameron would like us too think we are.

Eileen

liverpool
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If the bars think last year was bad.......

big ste is spot on ,,,,as for the bars on the front no problem their,, i go ai and im not a big drinker any more but i still like the system,, in a lot of case s theirs no vision with regards the requirements of the tourists good hotels but bad entertainment /outside good entertainment in bad bar s with out this forum people would be at a loss in a lot of cases ,,the lad from wigan his report is worth a read ,,,

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If the bars think last year was bad.......

all this rubbish posted about poor entertainment in hotels , there is some great entertainment in all the hotels , to many tribute acts , we go long stay in winter and certainly dont want to see tributes , go in the Nereo bar in January February and you will struggle to get a seat ,, the cabaret bars those that are open will be near empty

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
885 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If the bars think last year was bad.......

We had a front line bar on the Poniente beach. The Poseidon Playa near us wasn't AI at the time, and we got a lot of trade from their customers who wanted a 'proper' English breakfast, but drinks wise, we didn't do massively well.

If you've already 'paid' for your drinks as part of an AI deal most people are happy to sit in the hotel and not wander outside - as someone on a Facebook page said a few days ago, they overheard a guy on the transfer coach home to the airport, after two weeks holiday say 'there's a beach over the road..... I never knew it was there.....'

Gone are the days when the AI hotels were sited out of town!

I miss Benidorm like crazy, but I'm glad we managed to sell our bar when we did, at least we came out of it with money.

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If the bars think last year was bad.......

a lot of the older visitors are quite happy to stay in there warm safe hotels rather than venture out after dark , clean the crime up and put some decent acts on then Benidorm might return to the busy place it used to be

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm