We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non smoking laws being enforced?

Maryland
Level Contributor
349 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Non smoking laws being enforced?

I am hoping to take a trip to Spain in September but have had a problem finding out the laws on smoking in Spain. My recent return trips to Italy and Ireland were so pleasant now that smoking is not allowed in bars and restauarants. It really made a difference if you are a non smoker and want to enjoy your food.

Can anyone tell me if bars and restaurants, as well as other public buildings, are now non smoking in Spain? One article I read said that new laws were passed but not being enforced.

Thanks for any information provided.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non smoking laws being enforced?

When i was in benidorm at christmas i saw lots of No smoking signs in the bars but there was still ash trays on all the tables and a lot of people smoking,but in our hotel no one was allowed to smoke.

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Non smoking laws being enforced?

The Spanish made a right mess of this law, bars and restaurants of 100 sq mts or less can still be smoking if the owner wants but in theory children under the age of 16 are then not allowed on the premises. Bars and restaurants over 100 sq mts must provide a smoke free area if smoking is still allowed on the premises but a lot of the hotels have banned it altogether. In practice it seems to have made no difference to the bars because there are so many it is near impossible to police.

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,003 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non smoking laws being enforced?

alleykat has just summed it up. A right mess; I think the gov got into a flap when they saw the reaction to the initial proposals, and therefore watered the law down.

Its not enforced at all.

Maryland
Level Contributor
349 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non smoking laws being enforced?

Thanks so much for the information. We will probably postpone a visit to Spain as there are a number of countries that have enacted non smoking laws(England, Scotland, Ireland, Italy), that we would like to visit.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non smoking laws being enforced?

Just back from Benidorm last week.

I could smoke in the airport ! with the security turning a "blind eye".

Over seventy percent of spaniards smoke so the government has got its work cut out.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non smoking laws being enforced?

Thats a massive over reaction, not going to Spain because of smoking laws.

USA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non smoking laws being enforced?

Massive overreaction is an understatement. Sadly, the facts regarding second-hand smoke have been grossly misrepresented and this has caused mass hysteria. Do some research and avoid anti-smoking, liberal causes.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
629 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non smoking laws being enforced?

Why dont you try Tenerife. Just come back from Costa Adeje and the smoking laws are strict. No one smokes in the bars or larger restaurants, they are relugated to outside tables. Don't give up on spain though!

9. Re: Non smoking laws being enforced?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Benidorm