We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Florida

Cork Ireland
13 posts
Save Topic
La Florida

Hi

I have an aprtment booked in La Florida for next July.It will be myself,my husband and our 4 children.They will be13,10,8 and 6.

Can you tell me good ,bad or indifferent about the area?

Places to eat/not to eat,things to see and do.

Is car hire necessary?

Thanks in advance.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
181 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Florida

Hi,

We have recently brought a property in PLaya Flamenca, and La Florida is nearby. When we went in August, a place called 'The Abbey' was recommended to us. This is in La Florida. It was lovely for a summer night out. They have a large garden at the back, and entertainment, although I don't think this starts till late, there is also a bouncy castle for children.

The food was good, but when we moved from the garden, to the area where the entertainment was, the service was very poor, so we ended up queuing at the bar ourselves, instead of waiting for the bar staff.

There is also a place called The Emerald Isle at La Florida, which has a swimming pool, that you can you use for a small fee, and there is entertainment on there of an evening. (We didn't visit this). From what I have heard it is a popular place. You will find plenty of restaurants in the area, just have a leisurely stroll of an evening andf I'm sure you will find something to suit.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but we are finding our feet so to speak, but I would def recommend The Abbey. There is also Internet access there for 1E for half an hour..

Regards.

Mumsy42

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,893 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Florida

Yep the Abbey is nice. Great outdoor space through the back. Was in there the other night actually.

If you like Chinese food there are plenty nearby including all you can eat for €8.95 and less for the kids. one thing you will never go hungry and I think you will find everything very cheap compared to Cork (I'm going to Cork in the morning actually). I actually ate in a good one when I was there in August but forget the name of it. It's between the Urbs of La Florida and Playa Flamenca. You can pick from a selection of pre cooked started, spring rolls etc and then you choose what raw meats and veg you want, put them on a plate and hand them to the chef who cooks them for you with which ever sauce you want from a list. This one was upstairs in a small complex. I looked for it last week again but could not find it. Anybody recognise it and has the name of it?

The complex at Playa Flamenca is also good. Mind you I don't have young kids anymore so don't pay much attention to facilities for them. Also take a look at Villa Martin complex. Lots of bars and restaurants although maybe not so much aimed at young kids.

There's the go-carting near the Carrefour on the N-332. They also have small karts and a special track for kids and I think a climbing frame.

Beaches: I like the one at La Zenia and also Campo Mar. Not been but up the coast I hear that Gaurdemar has a nice one and also you could take the kids to the salt ponds and mud baths at San Pedro del Pinatar just at the head of the Mar Minor. The Mar Minor is a huge inland sea with a high salt content of its own and there is a nice beach at San Pedro. Good thing is that the water is only waist deep there until you get quite some way out so pretty safe for the kids and it gets warm in the height of summer.

Do you need a car? Well IMO definitely. All the urbanisations are really spread out and the public transport system in the area is woeful. It's practically impossible to get to Torrevieja area without an airport transfer or renting a car.

If you are coming from Alicante airport then a taxi/transfer will be around €80 and €50 from Murcia, probably more with six of you. Car rental in July can go up quite a bit in price. I was getting quotes of €250 for five days for a small car. I just came back last week and got a Vauxhall Zafiri from Sixt (actually via Easy Car rentals) for €145 for five days so I would factor this cost into your budget.

If you can get a GPS or you WILL get lost. I have a pretty good sense of direction but once you get into the urbs every street looks practically the same.

Just as a car rental tip. Goldcar are OK but they have this policy that they charge you for a full tank of fuel and you have to take it back empty. This can add another €65 to the rental. Ok you use the fuel but if you are just staying local then it can be difficult to use it all up and also judge how to leave just fumes in to get you back to the airport.

I think other companies like SolMar (and the Majors like Sixt, Avis etc) don't do this.

If you have a car then maybe a trip to the water park in Benidorm would be good for the kids. Beware though that the tolls double in Summer. It will cost you the best part of €25 just to drive there and back but you can always use the N332 although this will take much longer.

The marina in Torrevieja is nice and they have festivals during the summer. Nice bars etc there. Beware though it does get really hot in July (yes of course that's why you are going) but does your apartment have airco? In July/August this year it was very hot. Even the local expats were all complaining and I don't think it got below 24C at night so airco is a great relief for sleeping.

That's probably enough to be going on with now. My brother has also bought a place in Playa Flamenca so I've now been there four times in a year. Still also finding my feet but I like it there. Don't expect a Benidorm kinda holiday. There's no real long stretch of beach with a promenade with bars etc. As I said things are pretty spread out and in fact there are only a couple of hotels serving the entire area. It's also not very 'Spanish'. Lots of Brits, Germans and of course Irish but if you are looking for a nice tapas place then you could be disappointed.

Anyway hope you have a nice time.

Level Contributor
277 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Florida

Just back from one week in La flamenca, car rental is needed.

alicante-spain.com/alicante-airport-car-hire…

gives you a list of rentals companies, add goldcar rentals to this list.

The more expensive give you full/full option for more that 4 days rental,

we used Auriga Crown who charged 75 euro for a full tank on a 7 seater - their rates were very reasonable - take out the extra insurance.

Drivers in the area are good, roads are good and well signed - it was absolutely hassle free driving.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Florida

We have had a property in La Florida since 1995 -so know it pretty well. (We live in UK though).There is lots to say about it - so post again if there is anything specific you want to know.

You certainly need a car at that time of year, with children and the heat - unless you want to do nothing except laze around every day just at home or at the local pool (Emerald Isle - already mentioned in another post) Of cuorse, depending on where your apartment is, there may be a private pool you can use - I expect you have already been told this.

Car hire - we usually go to an agency type website - Carjet or Auto Europe are the ones we usually use. I'd advise you to go for zero excess - then you don't have to worry about getting the car scratched or any other damage. (our car was "keyed" - scratched - last time we were there - along all four panels on one side - nasty if you have to pay an excess)

Well - it also depends what kind of holiday you want - if you want to be with Brits all the time, you will have no difficulty with all the local reastaurants etc. Personally, we hate all that and try to get away from the Brit-filled places. There are plenty of more spanish places if you look for them.

Beware of some restaurants - they are extortionate prices for awful food - but on the other hand some are excellent value. The chinese restaurants and buffets are usually very good - as in another rely to you - different from english chinese.

The Abbey and Emerald Isle are full of Brits!! Fine if that's what you like!!

In Torrevieja itself there are lots more spanish type places offering good value "menu del dia."

Nice places to visit - the Fonds D'Algar and Gaudalest - inland from Benidorm - a good day out - do both on the same day. Lo pagan - mud baths - near San Pedro. La Manga - another good day out - go all the way along the strip - passed the high rise area right to the end and there are places you can stop and swim in the Med on one side of the road and the Mar Menor on the other. Torrevieja Aquopolis water park - fantastic for a day out with children. Also - it used to be cheaper if you go after 3.00 - but you need to check that in case it has changed.

Quite honestly, at that time of year and with children, it will be too hot to do much sightseeing and yor best bet is probalby to always do something with water and swimming. There are lots of lovely beaches - the closeest are Playa Flamenca, Punta Prima and La Zenia - but also often go to Dehesa de Campoamor, La Mata and Guadamar.

I could go on and on - let me know if you want anything more specific. Have good time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Florida

Just to say sorry if I have repeated what some other posters have said already!!

6. Re: La Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 18:35
Cork Ireland
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: La Florida

Thanks everyone for all your replies.Very late getting back here but had forgotten that I had posted this!

Our airport transfer is being provided by the owners of the apartment so we were not going to hire a car as it is an added expense really.Is there somewhere local that we can hire a car if we decide to for a few days?

8. Re: La Florida

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2011, 14:25
burnley
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Florida

what is telephone number or emailk address of car hire at la florida

10. Re: La Florida

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 August 2011, 08:42
Get answers to your questions about Torrevieja
Recent Conversations