We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Torrevieja Still Safe For Families?

Which Torrevieja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hull, UK
1 post
Save Topic
Is Torrevieja Still Safe For Families?

Hi, we are staying in a villa near Elche for 10 days in August 2011 and we were planning to drive into Torrevieja as we have never been south of Alicante before. My brother has recently been out to stay with an English family in the area and was going to visit Torrevieja whilst there but the family said that Torrevieja is no longer a good place to visit with lots of graffiti and crime / muggings. They said they would not want to park their car for fear of it being broken into. We were disappointed when we heard this as we were looking forward to visiting. My question is this - is Torrevieja as bad as these people make out or are they being over sensitive? I would appreciate a fair reply as we don't want to visit with our children if the area has gone downhill to that sort of level. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Torrevieja Still Safe For Families?

We had a holiday home in Torrevieja for over ten years, and still visit every year, and never ever had any problems. There are two main car parks on the seafront, one by the fair and one underground. We have used both on numerous occasions both during the day and at night and never had any problems.

Obviously, like all large towns, there are areas to avoid, especially at night, but the seafront is lovely during the day, and also at night, but we were never there later than 11 pm'ish.

The markets are well known for pick pockets (not the seafront market), but again you get this in lots of towns, so as long as you are careful and sensible, don't flash lots of money or jewellery around, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

When my daughter was younger she loved the fair on the seafront - they have a special area for the under 5's, and again we never had any problems here.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,620 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Torrevieja Still Safe For Families?

Head to the marina, nice bars and restaurants there and a fantastic setting. I'm of to Playa Flamenca again on Monday and visit regularly. Don't go into town that often but I have never heard of it as becomming a crime ridden area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Torrevieja Still Safe For Families?

Torrevieja is still a fine town in my opinion.

Does get difficult to park in the streets in the centre of town, its really pot luck. I would advise the underground car park by the Marina, or some of the side roads by the Park of Nations on the edge of town, in fact the Park is worth a visit by itself and is also handy for the Habernas shopping centre too.

One of the biggest street markets in Spain every Friday morning, you are well advised to keep your belongings safe as so many people in one place = pick pockets (not just here methinks !!)

Sussex
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Torrevieja Still Safe For Families?

What you've been told is a load if tosh.

Torrevieja is a lovely town especially on a weekend when you see all the Spanish families out enjoying meals out. We have stayed there for the last ten years and have had no bother at all, we park either in the street or the large open air one on the front at the far end of the night market. Whoever told you that is trying to put you off. Go and enjoy

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,287 posts
3,473 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Torrevieja Still Safe For Families?

I went two years ago for the day and thought it was a very safe city and also very clean.

6. Re: Is Torrevieja Still Safe For Families?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Torrevieja
Recent Conversations