We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

swindon
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

Hi ,

I will be travelling from Valencia to Barcelona probably on 31st march, which is a public holiday. It is a little too early to book a cheaper web fare on the train, but wondered if this is going to be my best option? I am guessing flight will be an expensive option, but wondered if coach should be considered. Time wasted on a bus is not appealing, but wondered if there were any overnight coaches or trains?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Regards

Lorraine

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

Lorraine,

Train travel between Valencia and Barcelona is a bit confusing; there are 2 stations and several different types of train in service. When you use the Renfe website to plan your trip, make sure to click on the name of the train to see exactly which station it serves. You'll find more info on the train stations in the Top Question ---->>> There's a shuttle between the 2 stations as well.

I wouldn't plan on taking a bus since the trains are so convenient. Basically the travel times range between 3 hours and 5 hours 22 minutes. Here's an example of currently offered trains and their fares:

Euromed, 3 hrs, 22.50 euros Web discount (full fare 45 euros)

Talgo, 3 hrs 41 mins, 20.15 euros Web discount (full fare 40.30 euros)

If you have trouble using the Renfe website with your UK credit card, just go to RailEurope and pay the extra service charge. You'll still save time and money.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,245 posts
3,585 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

Lorraine:

I would take the train. Trains in Spain are very comfortable.

swindon
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

Thank you for your good advice.

swindon
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

Thank you for your good advice.

Poway, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

Gigis_mum ...Thanks for your posting of some good info but I need some further help ... I am not seeing where to find and get the discount you are saying for the Euromed train ... 45 reduced to 22.50 euros.

I am not traveling until March also but just ran a test purchase all the way thru to where you put in your credit card info and never saw anything about a discount; fare still showed as being 45 euros ... this was on the Renfe site.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

For what it's worth, the trainline hugs the coast for much of the journey between Valencia and Barcelona so there are great views.

swindon
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

Smashing.... Really looking forward to it.

Lorraine.

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

Not so confusing: Euromed train in Joaquin Sorolla Station. Talgo and Regional train in Nord station.

Seattle, Washington
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

Can someone tell me if the Euromed and Talgo trains to Barcelona from Valencia are available via the Renfe Spain Pass?

renfe.com/EN/…index.html

The pass help page mentions that "It is valid for all AVE Long Distance and Medium Distance trains", but I am confused if this route is covered by it.

10. Re: Travelling Valencia to Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 05:16