We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of Valencia in September

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of Valencia in September

We have visited quite a few locations in Spain but not been to Valencia yet, probably as there are no direct flights, however are considering visiting Madrid and Valencia. We are 'seniors' I guess, either side of 60, enjoy culture and good food and drink, plus exploring interesing and historical sites and like to stay somewhere comfortable.

What would be the recommendations in Valencia (the 'Welcome to...' section is a bit to general and postery for me to get a feel for the place), what is good (or not so good) about September. Is it worth having a car and exploring the area, what is there to do/see there?

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of Valencia in September

Hi Penny - well there are direct flights from Manchester with Ryanair; I'm assuming you mean no direct flights from Liverpool, which is closer to you.

September is a great time to visit Valencia - the weather will still be good and local businesses which were closed for holidays in August will be open again. I do recommend you persevere with reading the info on what to do on here as it covers all the main sights.

Depending on how long you have for your holiday, then hiring a car to explore beyond the city would be worthwhile, but I wouldn't bother with a car during a stay in the city: you won't need it and it'll cost you to park it. Maybe stay in the city centre for a few days then take the metro to the airport to pick up a hire car there, dropping it back at the same location when returning for your flight home.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Valencia
Valencia
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of Valencia in September

Thanks for your help. Didn't know about Ryanair, however hubby won't fly with them again, and I fancy seeing a bit of Madrid so will persevere with that plan. No doubt will be back on the site with more questions once I have done a bit more research.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Valencia
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of Valencia in September

How about basing in Madrid and popping over to Valencia using the fantastic AVE train?

Book on-line for very reasonable prices. Journey time only 1hr 38 minutes.

Maybe stay a night or two in the middle of Valencia city.

In September it would still be nice beach weather. Valencia city beaches are easy to get to from the centre using public transport (car not necessary unless you want to travel extensively outside the city).

I recently took my Mother and mother-in-law (both approaching 80 years of age) on a day trip from Valencia to Madrid using the AVE service and they thought it was a fantastic way to travel!

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Valencia
Valencia
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,329 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of Valencia in September

Penny:

The last time I visited Valencia I stayed at the Melia Plaza, which is at the center of downtown. You can walk to most of the sights from here.

For train travel, read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Mentioned in this post
Valencia
Valencia
Melia Plaza
Melia Plaza
955 Reviews
Valencia, Spain
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
232 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of Valencia in September

Hi PennyW,

I have just returned from our trip to Spain. If you come to Valencia from Madrid by Renfe, you can stop by at Cuenca also. It is a World heritage site which I was planning to visit last year but couldn't.

Don't forget to visit La Lonja, the Central Market, the Cathedral and Valencia Nord Station while in Valencia. They are all fantastic;-)

We didn't do any of the museums since we were on our way to Barcelona and didn't have much time.

Hope this help.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Valencia
Valencia
Madrid
Madrid
RENFE
RENFE
315 Reviews
Algeciras, Spain
Cuenca
Cuenca
Province of Cuenca, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of Valencia in September

Good day! Please do not take a car to Valencia as public parking is ample and the garage (like under PLAZA REINA) is expensive! Our favorite historical site is CENTRO DEL CARMEN. It is a lesser known old monastery, completely painted white and filled to the rim with quirky modern art.

September is a great time to travel, as it is sunny, but not too hot. To stay somewhere comfortable, central and unique, please visit the ´Bed and Breakfast Valencia´ page on TripAdvisor. We might be a bit biased, but we think the Number One rated B & B is a good choice.

Warm wishes and enjoy!

Dany

Mentioned in this post
Valencia
Valencia
7. Re: Thinking of Valencia in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 07:18