We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

My daughter studying abroad in Valencia and loved it. Before she went I bought her Rick Steves Spain. It does not even mention Valencia. You would think the third largest city in Spain would make the cut. Valencia has an historic center with cathedrals and museums; it has the ultra modern City of Arts and Sciences; and it has Mediterranean beaches. What gives?

Edited: 21 April 2014, 18:04
Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

Sorry. Can't edit headline. Should be "LIKE" Valencia.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,180 posts
3,579 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

casey:

You are right. Many guide books in English lack good content and many were published a long time ago and have not been updated.

I myself love Valencia.

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

This is correct and very, very strange. In Northern Europe, for the last five years now, Valencia has been promoted at the ´hottest new city trip destination in Spain´. We run a small Valencia Bed and Breakfast in the center, and in recent years we have been featured by The Guardian (UK), National Geographic Traveler (UK), Elle (BE), Reiseluyst (Norway) and in MARGRIET, Hollands largest ladies magazine. I don´t know why Rick Stevens or other North American guided have not picked up on this trend, but we are doing the best we can to promote this fabulous city that offers a lot, but still feels very, very Spanish. Kind regards, Dany, Owner of Bed and Breakfast Valencia Mindfulness Retreat.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

Valencia has changed so much for the better in the last decade or so. As a city break destination it has a lot to offer. Plenty to see in the city, plus a lovely sandy beach. Even in the winter the weather can be very good.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
836 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

I think most Brits have never heard of Rick Steves so they won't have picked up on that. I've always loved Valencia myself having been a student there twenty years ago. I actually don't think it has changed that much, not in the city centre.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

You are right, who the heck is Rick Steves. Obviously, doesn't know what he is talking about.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

If you write about travel you will know about Rick Steves!

Maybe make a complaint on his forum?

http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-forum

He also has a You Tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/RickSteves/

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

I did post on Rick's forum earlier in the week. Here's the response I received:

"There certainly are things to enjoy in Valencia, but it just doesn't make Rick's cut for his favorite places for a first-time, one-month visit to Spain, or to fit into one book that is already straining its 980-page limit. Being big isn't what makes a city great, either; including a mix of smaller towns gives you a much different flavor of a country."

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
281 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

I´m actually working on a city guide in English now (and hopefully later in Dutch -my mother tongue- and/or other languages), because I agree with you that Valencia has so much to offer and still feels very authentic. As this city guide is a purely personal project (doing it in my own time, after working hours) it´s a slow process, but I´m hoping to be able to publish it some time this year. If you have any personal all-time favourites in Valencia (bars, restaurants, shops) please send me a private message, so I can check out if they could be part of my project. Thanks.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
836 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rick Steves doesn't live Valencia?

Well Casey - I think the response from Rick's people makes it very clear what they think of Valencia (if indeed he has ever been). And the "being big isn't what makes a city great" comment is just odd: third largest city in Spain, but actually with a compact city centre. They don't know what they are talking about IMHO!

It's like writing a guidebook on the UK and missing out Manchester. Bizarre.