We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona Airport to Valencia - First timer needing help!

Which Valencia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Barcelona Airport to Valencia - First timer needing help!

Hi destination experts,

I am planning my first holiday to Spain this coming Oct with my fiance, which is also going to be honeymoon. We are flying in to Barcelona airport (Terminal 1) and directly head to Valencia where we will be staying for 2 nights before continuing to Nerja for a couple of nights and finally back to Barcelona.

In Valencia we would like to stay near the Central Market. Therefore hoping to get some advice on the best transport option from Barcelona airport to Valencia. I have been reading a few forums and reckon train would be the best option? If by train, can someone help with the directions from Barcelona airport to the train station?

From Valencia, we plan to hire a car and drive to Malaga/Nerja which we are still researching, but I guess that is another separate question...

Thanks everyone in advance for the help!

Doncaster
Destination Expert
for Lassi
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona Airport to Valencia - First timer needing help!

Hi!

First question - why not fly directly to Valencia?

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/val… gives you all the information you need. Barcelona Sants is served by the Metro line that also serves the airport.

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/ will allow you to plan your journey to Valencia by train.

Second question - if you plan to hire a car to drive down to Málaga from Valencia, why not drive down from Barcelona in the first place?

Colin

Edited: 05 May 2014, 17:28
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona Airport to Valencia - First timer needing help!

Hi Colin,

Flying direct to Valencia I was thinking we will need to time the connecting flight perfectly that we don't lose time waiting at the Barcelona airport... But I will check!

Also we would only be in Valencia for 2 nights and plan to stroll around the area, checking out the Central Market, restaurants, etc. so didn't think we needed to have the car until the day we set off to Nerja.

Doncaster
Destination Expert
for Lassi
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona Airport to Valencia - First timer needing help!

Hello again,

I wondered why you were flying into Barcelona from your home airport rather than flying directly to Valencia from your home airport, ie missing out Barcelona totally. I don't know from where you are flying.

Have you chosen a hotel/apartment for Valencia? I am staying in the Veronica II apartment in July - I chose this because it is very close to the market, cathedral and the old centre. It is also well placed for local transport. waytostay.com/valencia-apartments/…

Check out the T2 tickets that give unlimited travel on bus and metro services in the central zone. This is much cheaper than the Tourist card which offers much the same (except it allows travel to the airport, which you probably won't need). www.emtvalencia.es/ciudadano/index.php…

Colin

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona Airport to Valencia - First timer needing help!

Hi there - by train is very easy from Barcelona: there's a station at the airport so just hop on the next train to the main station and catch the train to Valencia from there; you can pre-book online following the link provided by bigcol. Pretty relaxing after a flight and some spectacular views. Whether it's the best option depends on your budget and how much time you are prepared to spend hanging around in airports/travelling - if you can't fly direct to Valencia from the UK, then you might want to consider flying from Barcelona to Valencia. Check whether the schedules are workable too.

I would only pick up your hire car as you are leaving Valencia otherwise you'll be paying to park it in a city where you won't need it.

I think the fact you want to do Valencia and Nerja in one short trip means you will inevitably spend a lot of time travelling, but you may want a road trip as part of the fun. If you are not bothered by that then consider flying from Valencia to Malaga and hiring a car there to get to Nerja. If you fly into or out of Valencia airport then you can take the metro to the centre of town for a few euros. Many of the city's sights are clustered together therefore you may find that in two days you don't need to use public transport at all. I once spent a day walking round the city centre then headed along the old riverbed through the park to City of Arts and Sciences mid afternoon. I treated myself to a taxi back to the hotel instead of finding the right bus stop. It was worth it!

There are several good hotels close to the central market - the area you need to look at is around Plaza del Ayuntamiento, which is the centre of town and less than two minutes walk from the market.

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona Airport to Valencia - First timer needing help!

Thank you Colin and Grecofan. My fiancé and myself are from Singapore and so the flights are only into Barcelona (or Madrid which we are not planning as part of our honeymoon).

I am looking into the train vs flight schedules from Barcelona into Valencia. In Valencia, we have yet to book our accommodation but I will research around the area recommended by you Grecofan. My fiancé loves fresh seafood so I am sure we are going to stay near the Central Market! Is it worth finding an accomodation near a metro though?

From Valencia to Nerja, we thought of driving as we thought we would need the car for our 4 days in Nerja anyway we can pick up the car from Valencia directly (although the drive takes 6 hrs)... Moreover I couldn't find a direct flight at a decent timing from Valencia to Malaga, seems most have a stopover!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona Airport to Valencia - First timer needing help!

From what I recall you are right about no direct flights to Malaga, but time wise an indirect one via Madrid could work for you?

In the city centre there are only two metro stops - I wouldn't add being near one of those to your list of criteria for hotels. You are unlikely to be more than a ten minute walk from either metro station at any city centre hotel. Plus you are only there for a couple of days so you will have to choose which things you really want to do/see in the time you are there. What I am getting at is that you are unlikely to use the metro much while you are there.

Doncaster
Destination Expert
for Lassi
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona Airport to Valencia - First timer needing help!

Hi!

I am in full agreement with Grecofan.

We stayed at the Catalonia Excelsior, just off the Plaza del Ayuntamiento and we were perfectly placed for the old city, the Central market and the Metro.

Colin

8. Re: Barcelona Airport to Valencia - First timer needing help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:16