We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Tomatina do's & dont's

Which Valencia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
La Tomatina do's & dont's

I've just attended my first La Tomatina in Brunol (near Valencia), and would like to share a few observations that will be very useful for first timers:

* most of the people attending are part of some tour group; majority of participants come on a bus (30 mins from Valencia) as part of a tour group

* as part of your entry & bus trip, you should also have access to a locker

* there are thousands who want a locker & so the queue to deposit first & later to pick up; is huge

* if possible, don't bring anything except a clip lock plastic bag or similar water proof bag you can put your phone & money in; tucked away in your pockets

* your clothes will dry in the heat after your street shower (there are no closed showers or change rooms), so you can even do without bringing a change of clothes

* do not buy the goggles or paella + sangria package the tour guide will so desperately try to sell you on the bus. I paid 6€ for goggles & 12€ for the food coupon on bus, on scare tactics by the guide that nothing will be available once you get there. Only to find that there are plenty of people selling goggles for 1€, and many places selling food & drinks after the event at a much cheaper price

* we had to then wait for an hour in queue, in blazing heat! to receive a plate of mediocre paella & a glass of watered down sangria (not sure if it even had any alcohol in it)

* there are couple of open dance areas, so it's best to get on the early bus from Valencia & leave on the later buses. This will also help avoid the locker queues if you decide to bring a bag

* when the guide gathered most of us at the agreed time! we had to wait 30 minutes in boiling heat, before the bus showed up. It's best to stay in the shade until you can actually see your bus

* there is not much shade at all & it would be easy to get sunburnt, so put on sunscreen before the day begins

Hope this helps; wish I knew better before I went...

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,090 posts
3,467 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Tomatina do's & dont's

Samir:

Good advice!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,090 posts
3,467 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Tomatina do's & dont's

Samir:

What tour group did you go with?

3. Re: La Tomatina do's & dont's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 05:16