We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel

Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Train Travel

Hi,

I am going to Italy next year, and will be taking a number of regional trains. This is my first time overseas, so it is all quite new to me. My first question is: When you buy a ticket at a station, can this ticket cover train transfers e.g. I will be travelling from Bergamo to Turin. Since this journey usually has a transfer at Milan, will I initially just get a ticket from Bergamo-Milan then another from Milan-Turin, or will one ticket from Bergamo-Turin cover all transfers in between. My Second question is: I am used to having an upcoming station announced on the train itself here in Australia. Is it the same in Italy? Will there be some way of knowing which station is yours and when to get off?

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, but i would really appreciate it if someone could help.

Thanks.

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
58 Reviews
from US$371.90*
US$531.20
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,125 Reviews
from US$73.40*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,126 Reviews
from US$58.00*
28 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel

You buy your ticket for the entire trip. It will cover changes. This is preferable, so that in case of delays and missed trains, they will put you on a different train for free (after you go and stand in line at the office to complain).

If possible, take fast trains with reserved seats. On the regional trains, you might not find a seat at all during the rush hour when a lot of Italian students amd workers are travelling.

For your trip, you will have a regionale train from Bergamo to Milano, then there are options to take Frecciarossa trains, which are the Trenitalia fast trains. I highly reccommend you catch those, they are marginally more expensive if you book ahead.

Buy your tickets from www.trenitalia.com

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel

As far as the stations being announced, some regional trains have that feature, some don’t. Some have a screens overhead with the names of the stations, some have voice announcements.

The fast trains i believe all have it. I don’t remember ever having the problem to not knowing where we were...

There will also be signs as you approach the stations, on the sides of the rails.

I often use my phone GPS too to see where I am in while in the trains.

Edited: 19 November 2017, 23:09
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel

BTW, both Milano and Torino are rather large stations, you won’t miss them...

Cremona, Italy
Level Contributor
461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel

The train ticket will cover any transfer if the arrival station is the same as the departure station. e.g. if both trains call at the same Milan station. If the second train leaves from a different station, any transfer between the two stations will not be covered and it is up to you to organize the transfer. If the stations are adjacent, e.g. on the same square, it's just a matter of a few minutes walk. If they are further apart, like two different stations in Milan, the booking system on the train website [ www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en ] will not allow you to buy a single ticket for that route as an urban ticket for the Milan public transport system will be needed and the train company cannot sell that. If you still wish to buy that route, you will need to buy two separate tickets on www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en (and an urban ticket when you arrive in Milan to use the urban metro or bus).

Now for the second question: on long-distance and some regional trains the upcoming station is announced in both Italian and English. On many regional and local trains no announcement is provided though.

Turin
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel

> Will there be some way of knowing which station is yours and when to get off?

On Regionale trains you can't always count on announcements. A few minutes before the scheduled time of arrival get your things and stand by the doors. Trenitalia.com lists the intermediate stops for each train, you must click the grey " i " near the train number.

Read what's written on tickets. If it says "Torino-Milano" it means that the machine is printing another Milano-Bergamo ticket. It also meas that you'll have to time-stamp the second ticket in Milan before getting on the second train.

Edited: 19 November 2017, 23:19
Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel

So just to confirm, If I had a simple ticket from Bergamo to Turin, with a change in train at Milan Centrale, would I only have to validate it once (in Bergamo), or would I have to do something in Milan as well?

And also, thank you everybody for answering my questions!

Peter

Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Travel

Oh also, if I wanted to use the Regionale Train for the first leg of the journey, and the Frecciarossa for the second, should I buy the Regionale one at the station (Bergamo) and the Frecciarossa part separately in advance online?

Thanks again.

8. Re: Train Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 November 2017, 00:00
Edited: 20 November 2017, 00:00

Turin
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Travel

I doubt you'll get only one ticket at the counter, it would shorten your time window. Anyway if it happens you are right: one ticket, one stamp.

A conductor may think you're trying to cheat the system if he/she sees a second stamp overwriting the first one.

All trenitalia counters and (almost) all automatic machines can sell all trenitalia tickets, the train type doesn't matter. It's the same company running both Freccia and Regionale trains.

You can buy both tickets online, only one or none, it's up to you. There are discounted tickets for advance purchases on Freccia trains, but those tickets come with restrictions.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Travel

I have done this half a dozen times this summer, mixed a regional train with a fast train. I bought all my tickets online, so I didn’t have to validate anything. I received two, and sometimes three, separate tickets, but because my trip was purchased at the same time, when one of the Frecciarossa trains was one hour late, I went to the counter and they changed my ticket to another train free of charge. If you buy separate tickets yourself, and make your own connections, you are out of luck if a train is late and you miss the next one.

If you purchase your tickets at the station, ask for your final destination. They will give you as many tickets as the number of trains you need to catch, and you will have to validate all of them except the fast trains.

It sounds complicated but it is not...

i suggest you buy online if you know the time you want to travel, it’s hassle free...

Reply to: Train Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted