We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport advice

Midlands UK
3 posts
Save Topic
Passport advice

Travelling to Italy in 2 weeks. Passport expires July. Whilst browsing info, I've just read that passport needs to have 6 months left on it due to immigration rules. Should I panic and try and get emergency renewal?

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport advice

Purplemoose

I'd contact the FCO or the Italian embassy if I were you, to find out what the precise rules are. I THINK you should be ok for Italy, but I'd hate to be wrong.

Daisy

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport advice

PS - are you named after the beer?!

Midlands UK
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport advice

Currently checking with travel agent but will check your links if still in doubt.

Only recently booked holiday and didn't try and get passport renewed in case it didn't come back in time. I thought expiry date meant expiry date especially for Europe.

Wanted to use bluemoose after a shop in Canada but it was taken - tried purplemoose instead lol. I only know of Moose Drool beer

Thanks for your help

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport advice

You will not be allowed to board your plane in the US. Do yourself a favor, get a new passport ASAP. I've seen people turned down at the airport and it is not a pretty picture.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport advice

DJ - I don't think purplemoose will be boarding a plane in the US... I assumed "Midlands" as in "Midlands, UK"...

I've had conflicting info before on whether you really need 6 months left or not to travel within Europe. I've definitely read somewhere that you only need 3 months validity within Europe, but then you might still have a problem...

Midlands UK
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport advice

Travel agent said 6 months was needed but to try Italian Embassy for help.

Just phoned them. They said EU citizens can travel to EU countries up to midnight of the day of expiry. When I mentioned 6 months he said "utter rubbish - enjoy your holiday"

PS It is Midlands UK, I'm new to this and will get it updated lol

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport advice

Good to know! I thought it was only in countries in the Schengen agreement that allowed travel up to midnight on date of expiry but if the Italian Embassy have told you it's all EU countries, go for it :)

Also don't worry about causing confusion with your location... to be honest I suspect certain posters on here would assume you were from the US even if your profile explicitly said UK!!

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport advice

Hi purplemoose, Hope the passport will be o'k for europe. We had a similar dilemma but were going to Australia where the six month rule is firm. Always think it is rediculous as it means a 10year passport is really only good for 9.5 years. Ciao

PS - The Canadian beer is Moosehead (sometimes familiarly known as Moosemilk)

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport advice

Sorry about hijacking a thread about passports, Purple Moose!

There's a brewery in Porthmadog (North Wales) called the Purple Moose Brewery, who do a fine pint - hence my question!!

10. Re: Passport advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 00:18