We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Italian in Italy to answer mystery cheese question!

California
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Seeking Italian in Italy to answer mystery cheese question!

Hi,

About 10 years ago or so, I had a friend visit Italy and bring back the best cheese I have ever had. It came in a clay jar, was creamy in texture with chunks of what tasted like fresh mozzerela, but not at all like our mozzerela.

I tried to find this cheese 2 years ago while in Italy. I think it's from another region though. I was in the Mediteranean then.

Please, if anyone knows of this wonderful cheese, answer this question before I head to Italy next month. I would love to buy some to take home for my kids to try.

Thanks, Roman Roxy

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Italian in Italy to answer mystery cheese question!

what region of italy had your friend been to when she brought back the cheese? i have to be honest, for the moment i can't think of anything that quite fits that description... although real italian mozzarella di bufala is a million miles away from what we call "mozzarella" in the UK...

Fuorigrotta...
Level Contributor
289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Italian in Italy to answer mystery cheese question!

Might it be "burrata" - a very creamy white cheese - ambrosial! This is from Puglia (Apulia to the non-Itis!) - a region renowned for its cheeses. If you do a search on the internet for formaggi pugliese, various things come up - you might recognise it from all the producers' sites out there and in any case it'll get your tastebuds going... I've never seen mozzarella in ceramic pots so that sounds unlikely (it has to be kept in "caglio" - the watery liquid that keeps it fresh and fresh mozz must be consumed within 2 days or it's like rubber). Mystery still unsolved!

California
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Italian in Italy to answer mystery cheese question!

Mozzerella girl,

Thank you for the suggestions in helping to solve this unusual mystery. I am now wondering if perhaps the family she stayed with made it. She called it Mozzerella, but maybe it wasn't. I am very familiar with the fresh mozzerella balls in water, I buy this at an Italian market about 45 minutes from my house. I have inquired at this market, and got about the same response.

Vicki2005,

Unfortunately, I don't know what region she was visiting adn have since lost contact with her.

Is anyone else out there familiar with this cheese? I really want to get some... It's become a mission now!

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking Italian in Italy to answer mystery cheese question!

I bet it was "basket cheese" I have had it in Firenze and Lucca..it's homemade and I have had it sweetened and just plain...cream cheesy not like Ricottta Salada...I think I saw it in Pecks in Milan...DKEL

California
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking Italian in Italy to answer mystery cheese question!

DKEL,

Thanks. Sounds like that's it. I will be in Florence next month as well. I will find some and test it out. I sure hope it's what I'm looking for. It was just so good...the best cheese I've ever had!

Thanks again!