We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should We Change our Itinerary?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should We Change our Itinerary?

My boyfriend and I will be travelling for the first time to Italy next October ('08). We planned on traveling for a week with stops in Venice (2 nights), Florence (2 nights), and Rome (3 nights & leaving on the 4th day). It recently came to my mind that we may want to visit the Amalfi coast since we are such "beach people". Since we are arriving on a Saturday and leaving on a Saturday, I am not sure where this could fit in. Do you all think it is a worthwhile stop? And where on the coast do you suggest? Also, if you have any idea how I could alter my itinerary to fit the destination given that I am flying in through Venice and out through Rome. And whats the best way to get to the coast??

I know I am asking a ton of questions but the trip advisor people have never let me down :)

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,571 Reviews
from US$74.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,978 Reviews
from US$107.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from US$394.90*
Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should We Change our Itinerary?

Is it a worthwhile stop? Absolutely. The problem is trying to jam it in with 3 other cities in a week. Keep in mind you spend a lot of time traveling between cities, so you are losing several hours just traveling.

If it were me, only being there for 7 days I would probably just visit 2 cities. I would rather get more out of less cities than less out of more cities, know what I mean?

Prioritize the areas you want to see and decide from there. If Venice is not a higher priority, you could always hop a train after landing in Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Should We Change our Itinerary?

I know that all 3 locations are a must for us. So I guess it is a question of jamming in a quick day on the coast or not...Any suggestions?

canada
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should We Change our Itinerary?

Few people go to Amalfi Coast for the coarse black sand beaches.

To squeese in a very rushed day trip to the Coast, you need to give up a day at Florence, or even Venice.

Better plan for a longer trip, or second trip.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
401 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should We Change our Itinerary?

Your stays in the other 3 cities are already very tight. If you aren't willing to give up one of them, I really don't think you can possibly squeeze in the Amalfi Coast (which is dramatically beautiful but not particularly beachy anyway).

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Wheaton, IL
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should We Change our Itinerary?

I have to echo what everyone else is saying. I went to Positano from Rome and it is not a quick thing. If you are flying out of Rome you may spend a half a day going to the coast and another half a day back.

"Coarse black sand" is a good description. Crushed rock is another one. If you are going only for the beach you will be disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should We Change our Itinerary?

I agree with the others. Personally I would definitely do no more than two cities in 7 days !!However, I understand that the "big three" is a must on many people's first trip to Italy. So, I would either pare it down to Venice and Rome or leave it with your original itenerary. You will barely have time to see anything and really will not have time to get a feel for each city, but you will have had a taste at least. I often find that many people don't get much out of the first day or two because of jet lag. You may not have enough "alertness" to enjoy Venice. By the time you get to Florence you may be just starting to "focus".

The Amalfi Coast will be there for a long time to come !! If you feel you need to see it, then I would just plan on returning again. A little determination goes a long way, trust me!!! If you have your heart set on the Amalfi Coast, then I would go straight from Venice to the Amalfi Coast without going to Florence and then staying the last night in Rome before your return trip home.

If you want a beach feel, maybe you could go near Ravenna instead of Florence?? Just a thought.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Ravenna
Ravenna
Province of Ravenna, Italy
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should We Change our Itinerary?

I would encourage that you limit your trip to two cities and would suggest Venice and Florence which would also minimize your travel time between cities. You could then do Rome and southern Italy on a subsequent trip, and I guarantee you will be going back. Both Venice and Florence, especially Florence, also offer the opportunity for some good side trips. The extra day or two in each place will enable you to take advantage.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Should We Change our Itinerary?

Thanks for the great advice. I think I am just going to nix the coast. I was thinking of extending the vacation a day by leaving on Sunday as opposed to Saturday. Maybe extending a day in Florence. I don't think I will be able to twist my boyfriends arm on not doing the 3 cities...Basically we both agreed on Venice-and I want Florence & he wants Rome. So we needed to compromise to make the trip work! I guess when we can afford to go back in about 15 years :) we'll add in the coast stops.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
9. Re: Should We Change our Itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 21:15