We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

We've been to Italy now 3 times and are returning in March of next year. We used the trains during 1 trip but had Euro rail passes since we were traveling by train all over Europe.

In March we are planning to buy Italia Rail Passes before we go to Rome in March. We'll probably only travel by rail from Rome to Pompeii and probably Rome to Pisa.

For such limited and short trips is it really worth the 1st class cost? What is the main differences between 1st and 2nd class here?

Thanks,

Gottagocit

canada
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

1. You will be wasting your money in buying a train pass for infrequent and short trips. With a train pass you still need to queue up to make reservation.

2. The physical difference between a 1st and a 2nd class seat if the width. There are 3 seats for the width of the carriage in the 1st class, while 4 seats in the 2nd. With fewer seats, one feels less crowded and more private, and more space per person for luggage. The fringe benefit in the 1st class is complimentary newspaper and coffee.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

Not so sure about the pass being a "waste of money".

I priced a city to city ticket from Rome to Pompeii for 4 of us at $213 total each way. By the time we get back it'll be $426.

The pass for 3 days of travel is $209 each. If we do 2 or 3 trips the pass will be less.

Both rates were for 1st class.

Am I missing something?

Gottagocit

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

4 adults on the fastest (and most expensive) train from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale are:

2nd class € 132,00

1st class € 172,00

Amica offer (limited offer)

2nd class € 105,60

1st class € 137,60

Napoli to Pompei will be only few Euros (I got a fare of € 2,30). If you want to see the explorations, you have to take the Circumvesuviana Commuter train from Napoli Centrale (Garibaldi), lower floor of the same station) to Pompei Scavi Villa Misteri stop.

These trains do only have 2nd class.

All fares for Trenitalia trains (so all except the Circumvesuviana) can be found at:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Are you sure the fares you mention are for 4 persons? Don't buy from companies like Raileurope... they don't use the official fares and add huge service charges.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

Hi and thanks,

I got the city to city and the rail pass prices at the Italia Rail website. www.railkey.com This could be the problem as it is not the site you recommened I use.

I just ran it again to make sure about the 4 person total and this time I was quoted $276 total for all 4 passengers. Trip departs Rome at 7:25 am, arrives Pompeii at 9:25 am. Could be the wrong station in Pompeii from the sound of things but that's the price I got and that is one way not r/t.

I'll check the site you recommend and see what that looks like.

Thanks,

Gottagocit

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

Robbi is absolutely correct. I just took the ICPlus train in second class to Naples from Termini and the fare was 15.8euros Amica fare. The train to Pompeii Scavi(Circumsuviana) was 2.3euros. The total round trip for the two trains was around 18euros.

As suggested, be sure to check the point to point fares on the www.trenitalia.com website. You'll see that you will save a ton of money over the rail passes.

Buy your tickets after you arrive. Use the English friendly automated machines in the train station. There are many trains on the routes you are traveling. Go to the website and print off a copy of the departure times which you wish,then take it to the train station with you so you don't get confused.

No worries!!

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

Trenitalia (former FS - state railways) is the website of the national italian railways, so they have all trains included in the timetable query and the real fares!

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

as per previous posts buy tickets as needed, not the rail passes

use the automated machines, they are very easy to use

1st class is really only recommed for longer ES fast train rides

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

Thanks so much for the advice you guys are giving. It's great.

Another question though. How do I know what various fare rules are? Amica for example. Who is eligible for it and the other fares and who is not?

Thanks so much,

Gottagocit

New Jersey
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

I am traveling from Milan train station to Venice and bought 2 -1st class tickets. My question is , are we in a cabin with other people? and how much room is there for our luggage and is the luggage with you or away from you? Also we will have 2 very large suitcases with us. What is the situation going to be getting on this train and where is this big luggage going? Can anyone tell me?

Thanks

United States
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy trains..... 1st or 2nd class?

You are going to have trouble with very large suitcases, lifting them up into the train carriages and finding storage for them. There are racks in the front of some carriages and space between seats but the racks fill up quickly and they will be out of your sight. Between the seats will not fit large suitcases.

Also you may run into stairs changing platforms. In several of the stations where I changed trains, there was no lift or a broken one and haulling a moderate case even with wheels was a challenge.

TAB