We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on planning vacation from US to Italy

U.S.
6 posts
Save Topic
Need advice on planning vacation from US to Italy

I have no idea where to start looking. Does any one know of any good websites. I would like to go to Rome, Venice, maybe Florence. Leaving from Dallas, TX.

Where should we (me and my husband) fly into. Should we do air/hotel packages or just find air first. What time of year would be good to go?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,683 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on planning vacation from US to Italy

Rome, Venice and Florence are certainly a good trio to start with on a first time visit. Much depends on how much time you will have in Italy as these are three of the greatest cities in the world for architecture and art and all deserved plenty of time to really get more than the most superficial impressions.

Venice and Rome have better airports than Florence. Most international flights for Florence land at Pisa, over 50 miles away and an hour or so by train. Ideally land at Rome or Venice, travel to Florence by rail and then leave by the other if you can get flights. Check www.trenitalia.it for train times.

General Italy -www.enit.it

www.italiantourism.com

wwwhotelreservation.it

www.venere.com

Venice - tourist office www.turismovenezia.it

General info try www.meetingvenice.it

www.acqualta.com

www.aguestinvenice.com

accomodation - www.veniceinfo.it

www.venicehotel.com

Florence general www.commune.firenze.it

www.firenze.net

www.florenceonline.it

Rome general www.commune.roma.it

www.enjoyrome.it

www.romaturismo.com

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,683 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on planning vacation from US to Italy

Sorry forgot - time of year to go. My wife and I always think that July and August are to be avoided if possible. They are the height of the tourist season and the weather is at its hottest so if you do travel then make absolutely sure your bedrooms have airconditioning which you can control and not the hotel management.

We prefer late April to early June and mid September to early November as there are slightly fewer tourists and usually pleasant weather. At any time of the year you can always get an unexpected thunder storm or heavy shower.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on planning vacation from US to Italy

It's hard to add anything to Robert-J's advice -- he is THE man! But I'd like to comment on flight/hotel. I wouldn't do a package, but that's just me because I am always skeptical of "deals." Instead I used B&Bs and a very nice hostel at quite a savings. However, whether you do a package or not, I would suggest flying open-jaw -- land in one city and fly out of another to avoid back-tracking. I flew into Rome and out of Milan. I would suggest going to Rome first while you have your strength -- it's a fabulous city but BUSY and the traffic is like nothing you've ever seen anywhere. Not even New York. As you travel north, each major city gets less hectic: Florence is a sizeable city, but much easier to navigate; Venice is a cakewalk, so the pace will be just right when you're feeling the aches of marathon touring.

Be sure to ask more questions as they occur to you.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on planning vacation from US to Italy

My wife and I just returned from our very first trip to Italy and did Siena, Florence, Cinque Terre and Rome. Early May was very pleasant with smaller crowds and great spring weather.

I agree that you should do B&B's. We stayed in B&B's the whole trip and found them clean, comfortable and much cheaper than hotels. The great thing about B&B's is that you find people who will help you and give you advice on what to see and where to eat. We averaged about 110 Euro a night at B&B's. Some give you a discount if you pay in cash. We flew into Rome and then took the train strait to Siena.

One last piece of advice. If you can manage it, try avoiding taking a taxi in Rome. The train is much cheaper, especially to and from the airport.

usa
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on planning vacation from US to Italy

shanon,

I found a site -- www.coda-enterprises.com that you might want to check out for assistance in planning your trip.

also if I might personally recommend a beautiful b&b in venice called Almaviva House, they will certainly pamper you and it is so beautiful... and affordable, I had the opportunity to meet the owner while I visited Venice recently...

hope your travel plans go well.

U.S.
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on planning vacation from US to Italy

Thanks everyone! I will start researching with this information.

Have a great day!

Sandy