We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

Making my first trip to Italy this October (144days...but I'm not counting...lol) Just would like to know experienced travelers opinions on the two. I have seen pouches at REI.com with metal cables.

Also, at the moment, I am "girthly challenged", though have dropped over 40lbs in the last 6 months. Guess I am looking for comfort.

Thanks,

Tom

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

Ehm, you are not going on a safari. Just use your wallet as anywhere else.

Upland, California
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

We are leaving for my first time to Italy this coming week, however, my husband and I have traveled internationally numerous times. He would never carry just a wallet. Every travel source I have read has warned about pickpockets in Italy. We have both used the fanny packs with metal cables (from Magellans.com) and have liked the comfort and safety of them--they saved my husband from a pickpocket attempt on a metro in Prague. However, to look less touristy this time around, I purchased a waist wallet that you wear under your clothes that has wire reinforced belting. It's made extremely well. This company also has a neck safe that is wire reinforced. The company is: corporatetravelsafety.com. Good Luck!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

If you can get a wire neck puch, then get that one. Otherwise, i used the money belt (and I have a buddah but it was pretty comfortable).

And you arent going on safari, but you will be in a big city with lots of pickpockets. Do NOT carry a wallet. I got jostled numerous times with people looking for mine.

:)

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

I always use an underclothes money belt when travelling, but never used a under shirt pouch. I like it, and find it comfortable enough to wear 24 hours a day for weeks on end, but in warm weather it the contents can get damp--I solve this by using a plastic traveller check sleeve inside. I think you would get used to wearing either type and not notice it.

Indeed, it is not a safari, but being pick-pocketed at home is much less of a problem than when travelling overseas, so extra precautions are reasonable (even moreso if you take lots of cash, although it makes sense to use ATMs in Italy). Also, a passport does not fit in a wallet!

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

I've never used anything but a purse and my husband just takes his wallet as usual. We take enough money for the first day and then use ATMs to withdraw what we need.

I live in a big city anyway so I'm always aware of the possibility of bag snatchers and pickpockets, but it doesn't make me paranoid and we've never had any trouble even in Naples strain station at night, which is notorious.

Wearing a 'fanny pack' or money belt will only draw attention to the fact that you're a tourist and that's where you keep your valuables, which defeats the point somewhat.

If you're that worried then wear a jacket with a button pocket and keep your credit cards and money in there with just enough in your wallet to get by for the day.

If you have a bag with a strap then always make sure that you wrap the strap around your leg if you sit at a cafe so that you are aware if anyone tries to sneak off with it and don't leave your purse or wallet in a jacket hanging on the back of your chair, other then that in regards to personal safety, you should just behave as usual.

This is Europe, not the Wild Wild West.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

I first travelled in Europe in 1948 and went off to the Sudan in 1955 and have travelled extensively ever since. I have never worn a pouch or a moneybelt - they simply advertise that you are carrying items worth stealing and telling potential thieves where they are.

I carry limited amounts of money, no more than I need that day, in my wallet at the bottom of my front trouser pocket with my handkerchief on top. I never, ever, carry my wallet in a jacket pocket, too easy for the pickpocket nor in my hip pocket, too easily seen from behind.

I never carry my passport, only a single sheet of paper with a photocopy of the important pages from my passport. Not that I have ever been asked for it apart from arriving at a Hotel and also when obtaining concession rates at Museums etc.

( I weigh 240 lbs and have done ever since my Rugby football playing days long ago)

woodstock, georgia
Level Contributor
232 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

Thank you Robert J....just returned from Italy and felt perfectly safe with my husband carrying the money in his front pocket and I carried a shoulder bag from Old Navy with cameras, guidebook, and passports. All the people walking around with a strap around their neck, and fanny pack around their waist, and a money belt under their clothes just amused us, but each to their own...

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

I agree that a fannypack is not a good idea. An under-the-clothes money belt chouldn't be visable. That is a drawback of the around-the-neck type--the strap is often visable.

When I flew into Rome, I did just pop my passport and extra cards into the safe in my room and didn't use a moneybelt, but I travel by train a lot, where it seems like a good idea. I confess, I also often stay in low-end places without a safe in my room, so I feel it is better to keep my passport on my body, and therefore, in a moneybelt.

I did have my bus money picked in a train station from a zippered front pocket once. No great loss, but I am very glad I had the foresight to stash my real money more securely. If I were always flying, staying in 4 star hotels and taking private cars, I would worry less. It does depend how you travel.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

Everyone is different, but my husband found that the waist moneybelt that went underneath his outer clothing was very comfortable and secure. Then, we each carried the cash necessary for the day in a more accessible place (he used his deep front pocket and I used a zippered section inside my day bag). We did not have any problems, but we didn't set ourselves up for any either. We also were lucky to have a safe in our room most of the time and used that when available.

Have Fun!

Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Under the Shirt Pouches VS Moneybelt? Opinions Please!!

This exchange of emails seems to show a cultural difference between Europeans and Americans.

I have to agree with my European cousins. I've been travelling to Italy for over 20 years and have never been robbed.

I never carry large amounts of money with me. Always deposit my cards/passport/excess cash in the in-room safe or in the safety deposit box at reception. Even the most basic 1 and 2 star hotels will look after your valuables for you.

I agree with the previous poster about handbags when you are sitting in a bar/cafe, etc.

It is kind of amusing at times to see people very obviously carrying around all their valuables/money/passport and trying not to look like they are. If I can spot them, don't they think that they are an obvious target for the pickpockets?