We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept vs Oct?, and when (and how) to book flights

Los Angeles area
Level Contributor
83 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sept vs Oct?, and when (and how) to book flights

My husband and I want to visit Italy next year, arriving in Rome and departing from Milan. It will be our first trip, and we will probably only have about 14 days. I don't sleep well in very hot rooms, so I'd like to miss the summer heat, and wouldn't mind missing the summer crowds. What are the pros and cons of Sept vs Oct?

Given that time frame, how far ahead to we need to book our flights? Is it best these days to do so online, or ...?

We may have quite a few credit card miles, but given what I've read about troubles with that, I'm not counting on it. Any input re that?

Thanks so much. I've been reading the posts; this is a very knowledgeable group!

Deborah

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,327 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sept vs Oct?, and when (and how) to book flights

I just got back a few days ago and I have to tell you that Florence, the first week of October this year ,was as hot as summer and just as crowded. I'd say go as late in October as you can manage as Rome is further south.

I did not go to Rome this trip. I would suggest booking the hotels way in advance,maybe 6months out,in order to get the best selection. I waited until about 3months out to book the airfare. I did keep watching as it was about $1200 when I started looking and I got it for $860 +trip insurance of $30. I ended up going round trip to Venice but Rome was not a different price. I also looked at flights out of LA (as you can see I live nearby) BUT they were not any cheaper. I had not done so before, but I ended up using a 3rd party web site which came out a good deal cheaper than directly with the airlines. They were very reliable and you could do it either on line or by phone. It was :

1-800-flyeurope.com or 1800flyeurope on the phone.

Good luck with your planning.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sept vs Oct?, and when (and how) to book flights

For two reasons, I would suggest that you reverse your itinerary.

1) It will be cooler in the north and warmer as you move south. Consider beginning your trip the 2nd week of October.

2) Malpensa [Milan] airport is nearly 1 hour from the city by bus and 40 minutes by train. In order to get a 9 or 10 AM flight you would have to stay at a hotel near the airport [limited number] or be checking out of your city hotel at o-dawn 30. Roma Termini to Flumicino airport is 31 minutes by train.

trenitalia.com/en/…leonardo_express02.html

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sept vs Oct?, and when (and how) to book flights

the weather can be unpredictable but mid October should be cooler and less crowded than Sept

Spring is also nice

for airfares you are usually best booking with the airlines direct

you can compare flights on Expedia, Orbitz...

if flying into Milan you may want to consider Linate aiport rather than Malpensa, it is the old airport and it is smaller so you can get out of there quicker and catch shuttle bus into town which is closer than Malpensa

I flew from LAX to Linate on British Air w/ quick stopover in London

you can watch flights and when you find a good deal jump on it

book hotels directly with the hotels, usually via email

Los Angeles area
Level Contributor
83 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sept vs Oct?, and when (and how) to book flights

I think we are leaning towards last 2 weeks of September. Some people are saying book the airfare now if possible. I have no idea what constitutes a good deal. What can we expect for LAX to Rome or Milan, and back, flying coach.

Thanks for all the replies so far. These forums are the best!

Deborah

5. Re: Sept vs Oct?, and when (and how) to book flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 05:24