We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new to Italy

NY
Level Contributor
782 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
new to Italy

I want to visit Italy this year and have about 9 days. The choices of Rome, Florence, Venice, Sorrento, Chianti, and more seem overwhelming and I don't want to spend so little time in any one place.

If I were to choose say 2 cities to really take in, what would you recommend. Also do you recommend any particular tour company.

Thanks.

Walkabout Florence Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours, Day Trips
TopBike Rental & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Stefano's RomeCabs
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new to Italy

I have been to all the places you mentioned. If you have 9 days and want two cities my picks would be Rome and Venice, although I loved every city I visited in Italy I think if you need to choose two, these two would be my picks - Venice for its uniqueness and Rome for its history. When in Rome be sure to visit the Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and Colosseum. You will not be disappointed with either cities, they are amazing. I did not use any Tour companies.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new to Italy

I endorse Tuscan01 opinions, except that I would skip Rome - but that is very much a personal prejudice of mine to avoid big, dirty cities. Otherwise of course Rome is unique and awe-inspiring.

But the main points that I would suggest are these:

1. Don't try to do too much. Think about how much of your time you will spend packing, moving, checking in, upacking.

2. get a good guide book, there are a great many available. Go to a book store and pick up six or eight to browse and then select two that you want to buy. That will enable you to make a much better decision on where to spend your time. The places you have mentioned are all wonderful, but we can't very well make the recommendations for you because we don't know your tastes, interests, energy level, or much else about you.

I will not make a tour company recommendation because I do not use them much, but I do believe that Central Holidays is worth talking to. They have helped me a couple of times on small matters where they could not have made more than a dollar profit.

And remember that reservations in Rome, Venice, Florence might need to be settled months ahead.

Good luck.

3. Re: new to Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 08:18