We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

Austin, TX, USA
6 posts
Save Topic
6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

I've been to Rome, FLorence, Venice before but nor for several years. We are flying into Rome in August and planning to spend two or maybe three nights there but then I am considering renting a car and driving around.

I know it'll be HOT then so we'll want to escape the city.

My questions are, can anyone recommend

Austin, TX, USA
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

Sorry, I hadn't finished composing!

Can anyone recommend beaches to visit? Cinque Terre? South to Taormina & Mt Etna? Tuscanny? I've never been to Tuscany apart from Florence.

If we rent a car and drive around, will we be able to find hotels or do we need reservations?

I'm in the early planning stage so any advice would be most welcome.

Keith

Austin, TX
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

Looking for similar information...traveling from Florence to Rome and wondering about stopping for part of a day or overnight along the way...what would be convenient to stop at from the trains?

Keith...are you in Austin, Texas? So am I.

Noni

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

In Tuscany you could visit small villages like Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Bagno Vignoni. Then you can visit the Amalfi Coast ( Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Pompei ).

Also there is the Calabria with Maratea, Tropea, with their beautiful beaches and in the end the Sicily ( Taormina, Siracusa)

Austin, TX, USA
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

Noni,

Hi, Sorry for the delay in replying, I was offline for a bit. Yes, I'm in Austin. Maybe we should talk. Feel free to email me at keithaustx@yahoo.com and I can give you my main email address.

Keith

Austin, TX, USA
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

J30,

Thanks for the beach info. Are these Sandy beaches? I looked at the Amalfi coast and it looks like its steep and rocky. Calabria sounds fairly quiet. How far is it from Rome to say Taormina, Sicily by car, train? Can you recommend one method over another? ie is car better than train or vice versa?

Keith

Rockport TX
Level Contributor
88 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

Perhaps consider flying . You should fly from Rome (FCO) to Sicily via the Catania (CTA) airport .

there are several low cost airlines,

one good low cost air line is

Air One (partner of Luftansia)

the website for Air One is

www.flyairone.it

press the british flag on the site for ENGLISH version.

These can be e-tickets.

From Catania , the city you are going to is about 1 hour by car, bus or train.

Otherwise, you can do a combination of train, rental car, etc, and ferry to Sicily for your journey depending on the time you want to allocate to get there.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

Just one comment. August is both one of the busiest months for tourists and also when Italian families tend to take their summer holidays. So, hotels may well be fully booked and you are taking a risk if you turn up anywhere without pre-booked accomodation.

Long experience of Italy has taught my wife and myself to book well in advance if you want to be certain of obtaining the hotel you want and the sort of room you want. A room without air-conditioning in August would be dreadful!! But they do exist, particularly in the cheaper Hotels and may be all that is left unbooked in August.

Austin, TX, USA
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the info. Well we found hotels in Rome and venice but I suspect its easier in the cities in August. As you are a Venice expert, Can you tell me about beaches there? In know my parents took me to Lido de Jesolo about 30 years ago(!). I wondered what beaches are good (if any) in the Venice area? It might be nice to cool off for an afternoon so I'd appreciate any advice on that.

Thanks in advance.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

If you're going to Sicily in August you will find the heat unbearable - yes - hotels do have airconditioning, so do some bars and restaurants, and so do the long-distance buses - and if you are driving around you really will need an air-conditioned car. But..... do you really intend to spend all your time 'inside' ? !

The sun is fierce, really fierce - cover up, use a hat and use sunburn protection cream. You may find the heat will make you become totally lethargic and you won't want to 'go anywhere'.... This is why the Italians go to the beach in August, the cities become unbearable ! There'll be the odd sea breeze at the beach, dipping in the sea will 'freshen you' and keep you cool, and you just 'laze around' i.e. get lethargic !

You do not want to be on the roads driving South at the beginning of August (when everyone else is driving South for their family holidays) or at the weekends. And... they'll all be driving back up north at the end of August...more crowds and traffic jams. You certainly don't want to be driving along the narrow bendy road that skirts the Amalfi coastline in August, with all that going on ! Take the airconditioned bus !

And... after all that sultry hot weather - the end of August is when you have one almighty great sky-rending thunderstorm ! Enjoy ! : ) But seriously - do take care - I never travel to Italy in August if I can possibly help it. July is bad enough. Best wishes, Nolana

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 nights in Italy. City/Beach Looking for suggestions

Just to add - the beaches down the Amalfi coast are indeed rocky with pebbles and shingle. And you can get shuttle boats that ferry you from one secluded cove to another - and come back to collect you (no other access to those beaches). The beach at Sorrento is accessed from 'platforms' with cabins on them, and is deep - there is one 'beach' - stones and shingle, but the sea gets deep very quickly. The further south after Salerno, the nicer the seaside gets - still mainly pebbles and shingle, but the sea is always clear and beautifully clean with pebble beaches. I can't remember if there was sand at Palinuro - but Maratea, Palinuro, Tropea... the further south you can get the more beautiful and less crowded, although I'm not sure anywhere will be 'less crowded' in August.

Alternatively, you could try Puglia instead, it's still not as touristy in general - mainly Italian holidaymakers.

The trains are cheap and efficient - and if you get the Eurostar and express ones they're nicer; some have air-conditioning (doesn't always work in the greatest heat - i.e. August !)