We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

so.cal
Level Contributor
64 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

Hi everyone!

I'm planning a trip next summer for two-three weeks in Italy & France and would LOVE to hear what everyone's dream trip would include!

We've traveled the world with our girls but this time it's just us for our 20th wedding anniversay!

I'm sooooo excited but don't want to be on-the-go everyday so I'd love to stay in 3-5 places and soak it all in...

So, what would be your top places for 2-3 weeks in France and Italy???

Can't wait to hear your ideas,

Laura

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

Congratulations - 20 years together is certainly something to celebrate.

Give yourself as much time as you can – it's a holiday of a lifetime for you and your man – and I agree that you should limit your destinations so you don't spend most of your time in a car, plane or train. As a result, if I had two weeks, I would do a maximum of 2 locations and if I had 3 weeks, I'd do no more than 4.

However, my dream trip would not be happening in summer. I have enough of hot, steamy and crowded living in Australia – so I don't think I can help much there.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

It is a great temptation to try and crowd in everything you can think of. Do prune your itinerary vigorously. There is so much to see and do in so many places you can miss an awful lot by racing round trying to tick things off a list.

If this is your first trip to Italy and France then Paris is a must as are Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome amongst the larger cities.

But such a lot depends on your interests. To me, Ravenna is unmissable as are Padova, Mantova, Assisi because they all contain great works of art. So clarify what you are interested in - if it is food then Bologna has good reasons to be included. If it is the coast then both the Cinque Terre and the Amalfi coast have their devotees. If it is wine then there are several areas where great wines are to be found.

so.cal
Level Contributor
64 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

Robert-J

Thanks so much, I know it's hard to narrow down but we must!

We LOVE food, wine, music and the water! Which is why we've pretty much narrowed it down to this:

Paris, Monte Carlo, Cinque Terra, Lake Como region and Venice. There might me a stop in Pisa for Andrea Bocelli's concert too.

At first I thought we had to fly in and out of the same place but now I think not. So the trick is making a route...

Would you suggest the Orient Express to go from Paris to Venice?? We've been thinking about that but it's two full days and not sure if it's worth the time and expense.

Also, Going from Italy to France.. would you route it going from South to North through Switzerland or through Nice up through the middle of France to Paris?? Or, switch it and go from France to Italy?? Sorry so many questions!

Thanks so much for your help!

Laura

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

Hi lauralegs, France to Italy or Italy to France doesn't matter but the route via Nice is faster.

My trip would be: Paris and Monte Carlo in France.

Then move to Garda Lake and have it as a base. You can relax and soak it all in (as you say) but you can also explore the cities nearby. It's near Venice, Padua, Verona and even Bologna is not too far, and with great views of the Alps (Dolomiti area is gorgeous!).

Tuscani and Florence are beutiful too and Rome is definitely a must see.

Ciao! Salvo

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,925 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

Luaralegs, I like your "water" themed plan, although for me I'd stay in Italy and leave Paris for another trip. i also enjoyed Lake Garda as a possible alternative to Como but I think you must actually stay IN Venice not just daytrip there.

Luckily you do not have to fly in and out of the same airport. You can easily fly into Paris and out of Venice. Air France and Delta and (for the moment) Alitalia are in a group so it is easy to plan.

so.cal
Level Contributor
64 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

Thanks Sal73x and Riffsmom!

I was thinking the same thing about not trying to do a big loop but fly in somewhere and out of another place...

I haven't heard of Garda Lake so I will look into that. We've traveled around the world with our girls and have been to Tuscany and Rome. This time I don't want to go that far south but I like the idea of having a place like Garda Lake that is centrally located to a lot!

Yes Riffsmom, Venice is a must! When we went last time we had our two little girls and this time we HAVE to do it alone!

I was thinking that the Paris - Nice route looked faster but Paris - Venice goes through Switzerland, which I LOVE too. It also is a more Northern route which would get me through Milan to Lake Como and then on to Venice. Then I was thinking of going down through Bologna to Pisa (for the Andrea Bocelli concert) and up to Cinque Terre and onto Monte Carlo/Nice. But would I fly home from somewhere around Nice or go back up to Paris?? I want to end it with the Pièce de résistance!

Thanks again,

Laura

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

I owuld agree with the Paris andf Montecarlo part in France.

Moving down to Italy and Venice then staying on the lake and also staying in Venice would be a good idea.

As you have already done Tuscany, I would skip going there just to hear Andrea B.

Why not visit beautiful Verona and take in a couple of performances at the world famous arena di Verona which has the Summer opera festival every year from June to end August.

More than your fair share of great wines in that area too----some of Italy's finest.

I am not an AB fan to be quite honest and so would not spend all that travel time just to go to his concert but that is a personal opinion.

so.cal
Level Contributor
64 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

Thanks Ecosseresurgam!

I will take that into consideration. I haven't heard of some many places that I will definately look into the Arena in Verona. That sounds like it would be quite an experience and that's what we want.

We LOVE Andrea Bocelli but can see him here in the states so maybe something truly "Italian" would be a better choice!

Could you recommend a place to stay in Verona?

Thanks,

Laura

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,925 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

Lake Garda is the largest lake in Italy.

It is easy to reach from Verona as well.

Last year I stayed with some young Italian friends near Bologna and we did Lake Garda as a day trip and then had dinner in Verona on our way home.

It was a long drive and more traffic than I had expected. I would have loved to stay on the lake as there are several towns with ferry service between them. Their favorite town on the lake was Torre di Benaco(not sur eof spelling) I have been told that it is one of the most "Italian" towns on the lake. Perhaps not as full of UK summer campers.

There was a castle there too.

I am vicariously enjoying your planning so keep us informed of what you decide.

Laura(funny coincidence)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,925 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What does YOUR dream trip to Italy & France include?

Lake Garda is the largest lake in Italy.

It is easy to reach from Verona as well.

Last year I stayed with some young Italian friends near Bologna and we did Lake Garda as a day trip and then had dinner in Verona on our way home.

It was a long drive and more traffic than I had expected. I would have loved to stay on the lake as there are several towns with ferry service between them. Their favorite town on the lake was Torre di Benaco(not sur eof spelling) I have been told that it is one of the most "Italian" towns on the lake. Perhaps not as full of UK summer campers.

There was a castle there too.

I am vicariously enjoying your planning so keep us informed of what you decide.

Laura(funny coincidence)