We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice Restaurant Recommendations Needed

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Venice Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have been to Venice before but would like to get some dining suggestions this time. I am looking for small, trattoria type restaurants that the locals will go to - preferably not touristy at all. We speak Italian, so no English menu is needed. I am looking for a more authentic dining experience. We will be staying near San Marco and prefer something we don't have to walk far to or we can take the vaporetto to easily. We will be travelling with my mom who is in her 70's and I don't want her to walk too far. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I think that staying near SanMarco you will find restaurants with English menus that cater to the tourists that stay nearby.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,088 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice Restaurant Recommendations Needed

Very hard to find non- touristy Restaurants in that area, if you put " Restaurants" in the go box top right, there will be loads of ideas,

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice Restaurant Recommendations Needed

We had the best meal of our trip to Italy last fall at a tiny little 5-table restaurant a block behind the Danieli called "Il Ridotto." We just stumbled on it our first night - I haven't seen it any any guide books and no one else on TA seems to have heard of it. (While that might not sound promising, since there are so many very helpful Venice experts who know Venice inside and out, this place looked like it was brand new - and it really was wonderful.)

I can't say it catered to locals - not suprising in that location. Given our jet lag, we dined rather early, and the diners at the other tables were French and American, and they did indeed have an English menu. I know that none of this sounds promising, but we consider ourselves "foodies" and can only say that the dinner was very, very, good and the whole experience charming. (The French couple beside us also raved about the food - which might say something, too.)

I did a review of this restaurant when we returned:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k14843…

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice Restaurant Recommendations Needed

There is a great little place called Al Porfetto? Al Porfecto? It's in the area between Accademia bridge and Rialto area. The waiter is the chef. Yummy! and Fun! Small...only 8 tables.

5. Re: Venice Restaurant Recommendations Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 16:20