We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
If you had 2 weeks where would you go?

I'm planning a trip to Italy in the spring. We will have 14 days. I hope to spend several days in Rome, maybe 4 or 5 days in Umbria or Tuscany relaxing in a villa type of place. Then 3 or 4 days in another area that is not to be missed. The Amelfi Coast? Any suggestions for where to stay in Umbria or Tuscany, and maybe another destination for a few days? We love wonderful food and beautiful scenery. Thanks for your help.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you had 2 weeks where would you go?

Assuming this is not a vacation with children, look at this:

After Rome try central Italy, Tuscany/Umbria, not in a city, and then the rest of the time in Florence. For the interlude between Rome and Florence:

These are some places that we have stayed in Italy and enjoyed greatly. There may be many others that are just as good, but these are the ones we know by experience. All of these web sites are good representations of what they have to offer. All of the hosts are friendly, gracious, and accommodating.

Two in Chianti:

1. The Villa Lecchi. Lecchi is a tiny, tiny village that will not appear on some maps but does appear on Via Michelin. From Florence take the RA 3 (fast highway) South, just past Poggibonsi take SR 2 South to Staggia, in Staggia take the Lecchi-Staggia road North about two miles to a poorly marked right turn to Lecchi which is perhaps 200 yards up the road. The Villa is on the right as you drive into Lecchi.

This place is well situated for visiting Siena, Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, San Gimignana and other areas of western or central Chianti. The Villa is very attractive with lovely rooms and ==>> the most stunning views we have seen anywhere in Italy. There is no elevator, and the climb to the top floor may be demanding. There is an on-site family operated restaurant that we thought was fabulous.

http://www.villalecchi.com/

2. Borgo Argenina Just off of the road from Siena to Gaiole in Chianti, S408, again the last turn is poorly marked. It is roughly half way between Siena and Gaiole. It is within a short walk from the tiny village of Monti which shows on the Michelin map. This place has, unfortunately, been discovered - reservations well in advance. It is an idyll of scenery and tranquility, only breakfast is served there, but there are numerous fine country restaurants within a reasonable short drive. Good location for touring southern Chianti, Siena, Cortona, Arezzo, perhaps Montepulciano.

http://www.borgoargenina.it/welcome.htm

Two in Umbria:

1. I Capricci di Merion in Tuoro sul Trasimeno, just on the Northern tip of Lago Trasimeno, at the western edge of Chianti and about ten miles South of Cortona. My wife says this is the most romantic place we have ever been in Italy (or anywhere else). Excellent location to visit Arezzo, Cortona, Siena, Perugia, Assisi, Deruto or many other areas of Northern/Central Umbria and Southeast Tuscany. Very attractive restaurant on site, but also easy to get to more casual, less expensive restaurants in Tuoro sul Trasimeno or Passignano Trasimeno. Take the main road into town, SS416 North, near the northern tip of Lago Trasimeno, off of either RA 6 or SS75bis, when you get to the little town center at the top of the hill, ask for Capricci di Merion, again the last turn is poorly marked.

http://www.capriccidimerion.it/eng/

2. appartmento San Martino, just north of Montone in Northern Umbria. This one is a real change of pace. No breakfast served, completely self-catering. About three miles North of Umbertide and twelve to fifteen miles south of Citta di Castello. They have three apartments to rent, and the owners live there. Two apartments have two bedrooms and one has one bedroom. They are all quite comfortable and well-furnished. There is a fantastic view of the town of Montone sitting up on a hill about a mile away. While we were there we visited Citta di Castello, Arezzo, Umbertide, Perugia, Trevi and the Adriatic coast. Assisi is near, too.

Just one word of warning: the drive leading up to the house is daunting, steep, twisting up the side of a hill. I went up or down a dozen times without mishap, but each time you go up it gives one pause. The owners are British, quite friendly and willing to help, but they don't seem to have much knowledge of tourist attractions or driving times. I handled all the arrangements, and price haggling over the telephone with the owner and there were no problems of any kind.

selfcateringumbria.com/content/Contact.asp

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you had 2 weeks where would you go?

Assuming this is not a vacation with children, look at this:

After Rome try central Italy, Tuscany/Umbria, not in a city, and then the rest of the time in Florence. For the interlude between Rome and Florence:

These are some places that we have stayed in Italy and enjoyed greatly. There may be many others that are just as good, but these are the ones we know by experience. All of these web sites are good representations of what they have to offer. All of the hosts are friendly, gracious, and accommodating.

Two in Chianti:

1. The Villa Lecchi. Lecchi is a tiny, tiny village that will not appear on some maps but does appear on Via Michelin. From Florence take the RA 3 (fast highway) South, just past Poggibonsi take SR 2 South to Staggia, in Staggia take the Lecchi-Staggia road North about two miles to a poorly marked right turn to Lecchi which is perhaps 200 yards up the road. The Villa is on the right as you drive into Lecchi.

This place is well situated for visiting Siena, Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, San Gimignana and other areas of western or central Chianti. The Villa is very attractive with lovely rooms and ==>> the most stunning views we have seen anywhere in Italy. There is no elevator, and the climb to the top floor may be demanding. There is an on-site family operated restaurant that we thought was fabulous.

http://www.villalecchi.com/

2. Borgo Argenina Just off of the road from Siena to Gaiole in Chianti, S408, again the last turn is poorly marked. It is roughly half way between Siena and Gaiole. It is within a short walk from the tiny village of Monti which shows on the Michelin map. This place has, unfortunately, been discovered - reservations well in advance. It is an idyll of scenery and tranquility, only breakfast is served there, but there are numerous fine country restaurants within a reasonable short drive. Good location for touring southern Chianti, Siena, Cortona, Arezzo, perhaps Montepulciano.

http://www.borgoargenina.it/welcome.htm

Two in Umbria:

1. I Capricci di Merion in Tuoro sul Trasimeno, just on the Northern tip of Lago Trasimeno, at the western edge of Chianti and about ten miles South of Cortona. My wife says this is the most romantic place we have ever been in Italy (or anywhere else). Excellent location to visit Arezzo, Cortona, Siena, Perugia, Assisi, Deruto or many other areas of Northern/Central Umbria and Southeast Tuscany. Very attractive restaurant on site, but also easy to get to more casual, less expensive restaurants in Tuoro sul Trasimeno or Passignano Trasimeno. Take the main road into town, SS416 North, near the northern tip of Lago Trasimeno, off of either RA 6 or SS75bis, when you get to the little town center at the top of the hill, ask for Capricci di Merion, again the last turn is poorly marked.

http://www.capriccidimerion.it/eng/

2. appartmento San Martino, just north of Montone in Northern Umbria. This one is a real change of pace. No breakfast served, completely self-catering. About three miles North of Umbertide and twelve to fifteen miles south of Citta di Castello. They have three apartments to rent, and the owners live there. Two apartments have two bedrooms and one has one bedroom. They are all quite comfortable and well-furnished. There is a fantastic view of the town of Montone sitting up on a hill about a mile away. While we were there we visited Citta di Castello, Arezzo, Umbertide, Perugia, Trevi and the Adriatic coast. Assisi is near, too.

Just one word of warning: the drive leading up to the house is daunting, steep, twisting up the side of a hill. I went up or down a dozen times without mishap, but each time you go up it gives one pause. The owners are British, quite friendly and willing to help, but they don't seem to have much knowledge of tourist attractions or driving times. I handled all the arrangements, and price haggling over the telephone with the owner and there were no problems of any kind.

selfcateringumbria.com/content/Contact.asp

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,725 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you had 2 weeks where would you go?

Is this your first visit to Italy? If so, then I think the 3 unmissable cities are Venice, Florence and Rome. All 3 are well worth 3/4 day each for a first taste of all the great things to be found in them.

I would also say both the Tuscan and Umbrian countryside is not to be missed. There are many delightful walled and hill-top small towns which are a delight. My wife and I are particularly fond of Pienza where we have stayed at Relais Il Chiostro, a 15th century building with many bedrooms with fine views over the Val d'Orcia. If you have a car it is an excellent centre to visit places such as Siena, Montepulciano and Montalcino.

One of the great dangers, I find, is trying to crowd in far too many places in a limited period of time.

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you had 2 weeks where would you go?

Thank you so much for your reply's! The trip will be for a 50 year old adult couple, no children. Romantic and relaxing is what we are looking for. Don't want to "run" the whole vacation. Don't necessarily want to stay in the big tourist areas if possible. thank you so much!

Susan

New England, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If you had 2 weeks where would you go?

Look at Borga Bastia Creti - right on Umbria Tuscanny border - it is amazing - see my review on TA. Can not recommend it enough!!!

New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you had 2 weeks where would you go?

I stayed in Chuisi which is on the Tuscan/Umbria border- it was a wonderful town and easy access to

Assisi, Daruta, Trasimino, Florence, Montopulciano, -and its not like you are running around crazy- some of the small towns you can stop in on your way to Chuisi...and 1/2 day in some towns is just fine-

I also loved the Amalfi Coast-

I did those two things in one trip-

3 days Rome and then 5 days Chuisi- then to Sorrento where I explored the Amalfi Coast and Capri.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,431 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you had 2 weeks where would you go?

I love to stay right in a town so that we can walk in it at night and feel like it is "ours" for a few hours when most of the other tourists have left. I also like being able to pop into a cafe or bar, into a shop to buy something and so on.

We usually take an apartment when we do this, shop at the local market or the local shops for breakfast supplies and maybe a meal or two, not forgetting that we also need to try out the local restaurants.

I don't enjoy the feel of being isolated nor of driving with maybe a bit too much good Italian wine inside us. The down side is that many Italian villages do not allow cars inside and parking can be difficult. We plan for that in advance.

8. Re: If you had 2 weeks where would you go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 01:18