We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

This will be my first visit to Italy and I probably won't be back there for a long while, so I want to see as much as possible.

Day 1. In Venice (Evening train to Florence)

Day 2. In Florence (Evening train to Naples)

Day 3. Drive the Amalfi Coast and see Pompeii (Evening train to Rome)

Day 4 & 5. In Rome

FYI, when my wife & I spend a week visiting national parks in the US, we usually spend a day in one park and then drive at night to the next one. We are used to a rigorous travelling schedule and don't mind it all.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,072 reviews
from US$76.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$413.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,853 reviews
from US$123.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,737 reviews
from US$112.60*
San Diego
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

Well, since you asked the question, yes it is crazy.

It is one thing to "see" the sites. Another to experience them.

You are doing yourself a grave injustice with this itinerary. Travelling is not about bagging sites.

Spend two days in Venice and 3 in Florence. Skip the rest of the trip. You won't remember it anyway........

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

Crazy yes, extreme madness probably, ridiculous yes - there are lots more terms I could use to describe your plans.

Decide what is important to you, then concentrate on that. Venice, Florence and Rome represent the absolute peak of cities steeped in western culture - history, architecture and art. If any of this interests you then the inside of a day in any one of them is a wasted opportunity. If all you have available is 5 days then take any two of these cities.

If you are not interested in history architecture and art - and I was forgetting food and wine - then stay in your national parks along with the bears.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

Sorry to say, but visiting national parks in the US or Canada is not really comparable to travelling in Europe. There is so much to experience at every turn in each of the cities you've mentioned that you could easily spend at least 5 days in any one of them.

At the frantic pace you've laid out, you're likely to find the trip more frustrating than anything else as things do move at a slower pace in Italy. As has already been suggested, choose only two of the destinations mentioned and have a memorable trip!

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
140 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

We spent 2 days per city, and I found the pace too hectic.

You should take one thing into consideration if you are proceeding with your plan: check-out times.

At least small family hotels have relatively early (10:00 am - 11:00 am) check-out times, which would mean that you would have to carry your luggage when visiting the sights. Not nice, especially in Venice.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

Yes, you would "see" the sites, but be disappointed when you get home. You won't have time to enjoy or experience the sites. Take your time, enjoy a few places instead of driving by a lot of them. Take the advice of the rest of the posters and simplify the itinerary and enjoy much more.

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

If all you want is to be able to say we were there and namedrop, fine otherwise like everybody else says crazy. Day 3 itinary alone is mad, Pompeii needs at least four hours to see it properly.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

First, let me say that I appreciate all of your responses, but now I am more sure that my itinerary is right for me.

One of you said 'It is one thing to "see" the sites. Another to experience them.' That would be true if I ran by the statue of David. I would have seen it, but did not experience it. That is not what I plan to do.

I know what I want to see in Venice and according to the books I've read, I can do those things in a day. The same is true of Florence. Both cities have things I want to see (and experience) and I'd rather see the best of both places than only see one.

Someone else said 'If any of this interests you then the inside of a day in any one of them is a wasted opportunity'. This might be true for some, but not for me. I have spent only one day in many great places and none of those days were wasted.

To quote another poster 'You won't have time to enjoy or experience the sites.' This is relative. I plan on spending a decent amount of time at each place I find interesting and based on the knowledge I have, I will have plenty of time to enjoy and experience the sites I want to see.

I have a book called 'Europe for Dummies' and it has a suggested two week itinerary. The suggestion for the part of the trip in Italy is to spend a day each in Venice and Florence and 3 days in Rome. Based on what the book suggests to see, this amount of time seems very reasonable to me.

Most of you might not enjoy the itinerary I have suggested, but I'm sure that I will. Thanks again for your input.

San Diego
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

'Europe for Dummies'............ seems appropriate.... ;-)

have a great trip!

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

Hippie67, if you have decided what you want to see then go ahead and enjoy your trip. Don't waste time trying to experience fine food and wine in Venice it doesn't exist!!!

Many people who are on holiday in Italy for the first time, go to the major cities for a day and return to their base at night.While it would not be my idea of fun, I can also understand that it gives them a taste of what they each hold with a view then to planning a future trip with more time in one place. So ignore the comments rude,funny or otherwise about staying with your bears and being a crazy namedropper etc.etc. I repeat that the trip would not be for me but do remember one of Italy's favourite expressions--------il mondo è bello perchè è vario. The world is beautiful because it's varied. So go ahead and do exactly what turns you on you'll have time to spend a week in one place when you're 70 odd and no longer have the energy to run around. Enjoy your trip and hope your bears are waiting to give you a good relaxing massage at the end of it all-----you'll need it.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 Days in Italy - Is this itinerary crazy?

It sounds as if you know exactly what you want to do and will no doubt be very well organized, but I'd like to offer one suggestion.

If this is your itinerary, then I'd strongly suggest you have reservations for any museums, galleries or sites before you go. Otherwise you could spend much of your valuable time waiting in line, particularly at the Uffizi or Accademia in Florence.

Hope you enjoy Italy!