We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian surnames - interesting website!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Italian surnames - interesting website!

I'd forgotten about this until I saw the post about a family surname in Potenza - apologies if it's been posted before but I think it's really interesting -

http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

Just put an Italian surname into the box on the top right and the map will show you where it's found. It's amazing how 'local' most surnames still are in Italy - I can't imagine a UK version of a map like this would really show anything of interest. Obviously the really common ones like "Rossi" are pretty much everywhere, but some are very specific to certain areas. I tried all my Italian friends' surnames and they're mostly found just around the area they're from.

Just thought it might be vaguely of interest to someone!

Berkshire, UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian surnames - interesting website!

Great post and web-site Vicky. I found myself putting in all the Italian names I could think of!

Tried "Corleone" - surprise, surprise, they are based in Sicily. There is is also a link to a US map, so you can also see where their American cousins hang out!