We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome/Tuscany/Amalfi in 8-9 days?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rome/Tuscany/Amalfi in 8-9 days?

We are planning to go to Italy next September and would like to visit Rome, Tuscany (maybe Montepulciano), and Positano. First - is this doable in this amount of time? We were thinking 2 full days in each location, plus some half days left over after travel time. In which order would you visit them? What would be the best way to get to/from each location?

North Barrington, IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome/Tuscany/Amalfi in 8-9 days?

We are leaving tomorrow...we are currently in a villa in Tuscany=south of Siena. I think a wonderful base to see Tuscany is Siena. It is absolutely charming and it has lot's to do at night when you just want to wander after dinner. I went into the Grand hotel there and it was fabulous. That whole area around the Grand looks great. Italy is very clean all over....old but clean.

Another possibility for you would be the Cinque de Terre. We would stay by the Hotel Eden and see all the small towns by ferry. Hiking is possible too. Monterossa has many restaurants and the beach is huge -two sides-the promenade road is amazing to walk on at night or anytime. Just breathtaking!!!!

Siena is just south of Montalcino....The heart of Tuscany as far as wine goes.

You could fly into Pisa-easy airport and then fly out of whatever your final destination is.

It might be better to go top down and hit Tuscany and the coast first then Rome or visa versa.

We decided to save Positano for another trip including Capri.

That way you have the water-wine country and then the beauty of Rome.

Best advice is bring an extra suitcase...practice walking up and down stairs now....I have lost so much weight plus ate whatever I wanted all the time. Sound machine good idea too.

you'll love it....

2. Re: Rome/Tuscany/Amalfi in 8-9 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 11:18