We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Italy with teenagers - any ideas?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Italy with teenagers - any ideas?

We are travelling to Rome, Florence & Venice with our 2 sons (aged 12 & 16) for 10 days in December. Does anyone have any suggestions of different things to do with the boys that does not involve going to a museums? We like the idea of doing such things as walking tours (like in London) or sedgeway tours (like in Paris or San fransisco).

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,957 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Italy with teenagers - any ideas?

The Doge Palace in Venice has a tour you can book-the secret itinerary tour. The boys may enjoy the history which includes torture and escape from prison. Shh Don't tell them it is a museum.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Italy with teenagers - any ideas?

Thanks for that. any idea as to how to get some information on the web re this tour?

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Italy with teenagers - any ideas?

have them read Dan Brown's book - Angels and Demons, get them good maps of Rome and its monuments and then let them plan out their own tour of Roman monuments and churches that are in the book. Castel St Angelo(in the book) is a good site for kids - a museum, yes but a good walk up to the top also. The forum/colliseum area might appeal to them also; it's outdoors and more walk-a-round then most places. They might also enjoy visiting some of the catacombs along the Appian way.

In Florence they can climb to the top of the Duomo as well as the bell tower. You can wave to them from the comfort ofone of the outdoor cafes in the piazza. They may enjoy the St Lorenzo market -near the Duomo and quite extensive.

I don't know much about Venice

jhgrady

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,957 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Italy with teenagers - any ideas?

YOu can put -secret itinerary-into the Go box on this site.

Here is the web site where you can make a res for the tour.

www.museiciviciveneziani.it/frame.asp…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
118 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Italy with teenagers - any ideas?

Hi there. Last month I traveled to Italy (Rome, Florence & Venice) for approx. 10 days with my 18 year old daughter. Here are some things that stand out to me as "teen" friendly.

Rome: Palatine Hill & The Ruins - being able to wander outside at your own pace (I love the outdoors and this area was a favorite of ours). Angel Tours - my daughter absolutely loved touring the Vatican with Angel Tours - it was the guide that helped make this teen friendly - he was a young man with a keen sense of humor (good mix of using humor to share history). I'm guessing the hundreds of designer stores my daughter wanted to go in and out of, that just made her day, probably wouldn't have the same appeal for your sons :-)

Florence: Bear with me on this one ... but we did a full-day cooking class with Accidental Tourist -- the morning was wine tasting & olive oil tasting and then we did pasta making which became part of a wonderful meal. My daughter loved this ... so if your boys enjoy cooking, this could work. However, if they prefer hiking, part of our group did this instead of the pasta making. Accidental Tourist offers a couple of different options (cooking, hiking, biking, etc.). While we signed up for cooking, we were with the hiking group for the wine tasting & olive oil tasting (which included a tour of a winery and walking through the process of harvesting olives/grapes, etc.) ... then the hiking group went off on their hike, while we cooked and we all came back together for lunch. This was a highlight of our Italy trip.

Venice: wonderful city for just wandering - there are so many interesting things to see in the storefront windows - and signs point the way to San Marco or Rialto Bridge - it's fun to turn over all the navigating to the teens here and let them set the direction (you can't get lost).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Italy with teenagers - any ideas?

Great ideas! Thanks. I particularly like the Angels & Demons idea and I will try to convince the family to do the cooking. They can do something that I would love to experience too :) They actually have done some cooking so it would be a great experience.

Any other ideas are most welcome, including things to do at night.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Italy with teenagers - any ideas?

All great suggestions, here are a few more:

Florence

The Institute and Museum of the History of Science

Among many other fascinating items, the collection includes the telescopes used by Galileo as he discovered the satellites of Jupiter: Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto.

Additionally, under a glass bell, the upright skeleton of one of Galielo's fingers. Some say it is pointing towards the celestial globe. Others maintain that he is greeting his detractors.

On December 21st 1614, from the pulpit of the Santa Maria Novella, the Dominican frate Tommaso Caccini accused Galileo of promoting the Copernican system which, he said, went against the words of the Holy Scriptures. Galileo was consequently denounced by Caccini to the Congregation of the Inquisition. At a time when heretics were burned at the stake with no remorse, Galileo muttered his "eppur si muove" which to this day still echoes in the conscience of Mankind.

Through the will and efforts of Pope John Paul II, in 1984 the Catholic Church decided and announced the rehabilitation of Galileo's image.

The Museum is undergoing restructuring works, due to be finalized in the fall of 2009. However, a large part of the exhibits can be seen.

The Museum is minutes away from the Uffizi.

http://www.imss.fi.it/index.html

Rome

If you happen to be in Rome on a Sunday, your young men might enjoy the changing of the guard at the Palazzo del Quirinale (Presidential palace). Be in the neighborhood no later than 11:15, the ceremony starts at 12:00 if memory serves.

As suggested previously, if they saw and liked the (HBO) Rome series then they’ll love the Forum.

And how about getting them to climb up the Dome of St. Peter’s – the best vantage point in Rome:

…tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k2135…

Venice

there is a guided tour to the Torre dei Mori (the beautiful clock tower at the corner of the piazza, near the Duomo). The clock mechanism and bronze male figures ringing the bell are over 400 years old:

You can book at:

The guide leads you all the way to the top, provides great explanations about the history of the clock etc. Not to mention that the terrace of the bell is such an excellent photo op, as it dominates the Piazza just yards away from the Duomo facade. Many people (including myself) reported in recent months that they essentially had a private tour (2-3 people attending) and everyone thought is was kind of cool.

Best regards,

P_M

8. Re: Travelling to Italy with teenagers - any ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 09:23