We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hairdryer with 125 and 250

Tennessee
Level Contributor
195 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hairdryer with 125 and 250

I think I have been posting on the Paris forum rather than the Italy. Please forgive if I appear to not know what I am doing...you just might be right. lol

I need to confirm my thoughts now...if I turn my hairdryer to 250 and use the adapter, my dryer should work as it does in the USA on 125?

Thanks so much.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hairdryer with 125 and 250

Yes, it should work just fine. As long as it's dual voltage and you have it set correctly, there should be no problems.

italybound@verizon.net

Tennessee
Level Contributor
195 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hairdryer with 125 and 250

Cont'd

If Iuse a converter, I would use my hairdryer set on the USA 125...is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hairdryer with 125 and 250

I would NOT use a converter on the hair dryer. Such electrical devices have a LOT of current draw and many smaller converters will not handle it well. If it says it's for 250V put it on that setting and just use an adapter for Italian outlets; the two 4mm pin adapter.

The small converters are used for camera chargers, electric shavers, computers, etc.,not for hair dryers and curling irons, clothes irons, etc.

italybound@verizon.net

Tennessee
Level Contributor
195 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hairdryer with 125 and 250

Thanks so much for the info. I have a camera charger that is 100-240v, so I should be ok with an adapter. Is this correct? I certainly appreciate your effort.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
996 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hairdryer with 125 and 250

One more thought on this. If I remember correctly, your hair dryer will only work on the low setting when you switch it to 250. At least that is how mine worked when I took it on trips. That was fine for me, as I have short hair.

Another thought - are you sure the places you are staying won't have a hairdryer? We stayed in 4 different apartments on our last trip to Italy and in 4 different apartments on our recent trip to Ireland and they all had hairdryers.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hairdryer with 125 and 250

Mycuppajava,

Yes, if it has a switch for the 125/250 assure it's set on 250 and put the adaptor on the plug. Some 125/250 volt items have no switch, so called "smart devices" and they just operate correctly when you plug them in.

italybound@verizon.net

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hairdryer with 125 and 250

OK - I was confused by all the info given here. I hope I will make it easier for you.

If your dryer will change to 250 voltage, all you will need is an adaptor for the plug shape. THAT"S IT!! Don't worry about anyting else.

If it is an automatic adapting device, like most computers and cameras, no need to switch over anyting. If it is not (like my hair dryer) you will need to change a switch (usually located on the handle) nd then plug it in to the adaptor and then the wall plug.

No biggie.

Ciao! LL

8. Re: Hairdryer with 125 and 250

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 04:16