We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Italy

ATLANTA GEORGIA
2 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Italy

My husband and i have decided to move to Italy to retire. We are not sure where yet. We would like a private secluded area that would be inexpensive to live . We have thought about Reggio di Calabria. Please we would like any advise, wisdom any one might have, appreciate it so much.

Bev

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,673 reviews
from US$74.18*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,427 reviews
from US$109.44*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,026 reviews
from US$60.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
486 reviews
from US$401.28*
Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Italy

Italy is beautiful, where ever you go. It's very difficult to answer your question. It depends on if you like the coast or you prefer the internal part. Umbria is wonderful, Toscana also as Sicily, Calabria or Puglia. You must know that on the south of Italy the life is cheaper than on the northern part. If you have any more precise idea or question, feel free to ask.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Italy

You need to buy at least a couple of guide books and read them so you have some idea of which places most interest you, otherwise you'll have to spend a great deal of money finding the best area, without any means of eliminating anywhere first.

Additionally, it would be a god idea to consult the Italian Consular office about visa requirements since 90 days is the limit for visiting without a visa.

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Italy

Don't rush in to anything please. I see so many British expats arriving here having sold up in the UK planning on spending the rest of the lives in Italy and then they have second thoughts.

One very important factor for you to consider is healthcare coverage; visa issue obviously; the language - you simply MUST - both of you - speak reasonably proficient Italian if you plan to live here otherwise your life will be little short of a nightmare. And I mean both because otherwise it puts undue pressure on the non-speaker. You're looking for a "private secluded area", are you used to living in such a quiet place, sure you won't be bored? How about access to stores, doctors, hospitals, entertainment etc? Even the best integrated of us at some point long to converse with someone in our mother tongue so check out whether there are any other English speakers around. You're both happy to drive here? "Somewhere inexpensive", coming from the southern States I doubt very much you're going to find it cheap here, on the contrary. And then you have your income, coming in Dollars presumably? I know two American couples who really had to cut back on their life style as a result of the exchange rate in recent years. One couple has actually decided to sell up and return home but their house has been on the market now for 18 months without so much as a sniff of interest from anyone.

I apologise for sounding so negative but it's a massive step to take, believe me, I see the consequences of a hasty move so often. Consider first extended holidays, renting perhaps for a couple of months IN THE WINTER, to get a feel for the area you plan to live in. Then, if you do decide to move permanently, again consider renting at least for perhap the first year or so. It's often better value and your commitment is lessened in case you decide Italia isn't for you.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,986 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Italy

CatieC has offered very sound and practical advice!!

The exchange rate is not in your favour. Renting is really your best initial option to sample an area - potential destinations, more affordable Calabria, Puglia, Marche, BUT be sure to visit all seasons of the year.

Buona Fortuna!

Vagabonda

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
896 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Italy

My wife and I stayed at a B&B in Umbria back in 2005 and there was a British couple also staying there that was looking to buy a home somewhere in central Italy. They had bought a home some 2 years earlier and moved to Italy. Subsequently, they realized that the area was not to their liking and were back in the "search" mode.

Great advice by earlier posters. It is a major life change but if you're sure it is what you want, put in the time to find a compatible location.

I would recommend staying at the B&B in Umbertide, Umbria (www.elmarsam.com) and use it as a base for day trips into the Umbria & Tuscany countryside.

The owners are Americans who moved from Houston, TX to Egypt for a while then to Italy. Great source of advice for you.

Good Luck.

6. Re: Moving to Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2008, 15:23