We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre...order you'd visit??

Toronto
Level Contributor
927 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre...order you'd visit??

We have 2 weeks, arriving in Rome...using Montelpulciano as a base in Tuscany..renting car only for the Tuscany part..help us with the itinerary and how many days you would dedicate to each.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre...order you'd visit??

Very good for scenic driving.

viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/…

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre...order you'd visit??

When are you going ?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,661 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre...order you'd visit??

Lots of interesting places within reach of Montepulciano. Siena, Cortona and Arezzo to the north. Lake trasimeno immediately to your east with Perugia just beyond. Pienza and Montalino are to the west and San Antimo and Orvieto not too far south. I could cheerfully spend 2 weeks just enjoying southern Tuscany and western Umbria.

Your problem is Rome and Florence are equally fascinating places and I could cheerfully devote a week to each. Neither is exactly car-friendly so I would be reluctant to take a car into either.

I suggest you travel from Rome to Florence by train (about 1 hour 30 minutes journey - see www.trenitalia.it for timetables). Then when you have finished in florence rent a car - all major car rental firms have offices in Florence, drive to Montepulciano and then drive down to Rme, hand your car in and enjoy Rome.

I know this leaves out the Cinque Terre but I do not think you have the time to do justice to Rome, Florence and Tuscany and also fit in the Cinque Terre in 2 weeks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
927 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre...order you'd visit??

first 2 weeks in June

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre...order you'd visit??

My two cents...in this order...

4 nights Rome

3 nights Cinque Terre

2/3 nights Florence...depending on your preference

5/4 nights Tuscany...depending on your preference

are you flying out after the last city?

We did 5 nights in Rome, then 3 nights in Cinque Terre. That was a nice change of pace. We then spent 3 nights in Florence before going to Venice.

I put Tuscany at the end of your itinerary so you don't have to deal with car rental logistics until the very end, and then you'd have 3.5-4 days to wander around Tuscany.

OR...

4 nights Rome

5/4 nights Tuscany (for a change of pace)

2/3 nights Florence (back in city again)

3 nights CT.....but again, where are you going afterwards?

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre...order you'd visit??

Hi Jeniz, I assume you are returning from Rome as well. June is a great time to be in Italy, especially to enjoy the outdoor sights. I enjoy driving type vacations, which have enabled us to see many places along the way, similar to how we travel in the USA and Canada, and that is why I posted the viamichelin map guide for your use. I say, Think outdoors in the warm weather with long days and indoors in the colder weather with shorter days.

I can't tell how much you are in to art, museums and architecture, but you are going to be in very beautiful and scenic areas. If you have no problem with jet lag, I would get the car upon arriving and make Montepulciano the first stop, a relatively short distance from FCO. From there you have a lot of choices and with 14 days you can even expand upon your list if you want to. I would consider driving to Lake Como for two days, a very spectacular area, then driving down the Ligurian Coast to Cinque Terre for a few days, then heading back to Rome, dropping the car, via Lucca and Pisa, and spending your last three to four days there. If you leave out a trip to Lake Como, you could spend more time in Tuscany, Florence, etc. I especially enjoy the Piazza Campo in Siena, the Boboli Gardens in Florence, Cinque Terre and the town of Portovenere. If you are not that in to museums and art, many places could be similar, and could be taking time away from other places. I am sure you will enjoy this vacation, whatever places you visit, and best wishes for a having a great time.

7. Re: Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre...order you'd visit??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 04:19