We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Uk to Tuscany or Lakes

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Uk to Tuscany or Lakes

Hi,

I have travelled (and camped) in Italy many times over the past 6 years and loved it. We have always flown budget airlines to Pisa/Venice, etc.

This year we want to drive to enable us to take more luxuries.

Has anyone got any advice? What is the best route? How long will it take? We intend to be in Italy for 12-14nights. Do we need to book several stops along the way? Is it worth it?

Many Thanks

Jo

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,831 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
31 Reviews
from US$374.00*
US$534.30
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,011 Reviews
from US$58.30*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Uk to Tuscany or Lakes

We have driven both France and Italy and will do so again in 2009. Our first time driving in Italy we flew into Paris, drove out to Semur en Auxois, then Yvoire, then drove over Simplon Pass to Lake Garda. That was a fairly easy drive but very pretty. We later went to Sirmione, Venice and Tuscany, staying a week at Lucca and branching out from there to visit Florence (by bus) and lots of hill villages. On that trip we did not go to Rome because we were circling back into France.

Our 2006 trip was different in that we saw a great deal of southern and eastern Italy which is not so touristy. We really enjoyed places such as Matera, Scanno, the Piano Grande above Norcia and the university town of Urbino.

You can see the trips on our website www.nickbooth.id.au under Italy and France 2004 and Italy 2006

A lot depends on how long you have in total. I imagine you could reach Italy in 2-3 days and would need that to return as well if you were prepared to move quickly. Best way to check is on www.viamechelin.com

I would then suggest basing yourselves at no more than three towns and branching out from there for day trips. A lot depends on what you have seen before. I really would recommend a week in Tuscany somewhere as there is so much to see and do there. Then perhaps the lakes and somewhere like Verona or Padua. A car is a hindrance in Florence, Venice or Rome and you will pay parking charges there and in Siena (but Siena is very beautiful)

The east coast is a different and perhaps more authentic experience of Italian life and is very driveable.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Sirmione
Sirmione
Province of Brescia, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Matera
Matera
Province of Matera, Italy
Scanno
Scanno
Province of L'Aquila, Italy
Norcia
Norcia
Province of Perugia, Italy
Urbino
Urbino
Province of Pesaro and Urbino, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Padua
Padua
Province of Padua, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Ilkley Yorkshire
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Uk to Tuscany or Lakes

Hi Jo

We are also planning to drive to Italy in the summer. My husband prefers not to fly.

We have booked a villa near to Lucca in Tuscany and were intending to have a one night stopover in France perhaps Dijon as we've been to a lovely hotel there before.

We live in Yorkshire so the plan would be to set off Fri Eve , stopover at Folkestone - Travelodge type affair.

Get up onto v early eurotunnel crossing , drive to Nuit st Georges , near to Dijon.

Sun am set off direct to Lucca, via switzerland I think and hopefully arrive there evening time.

We have driven to Austria before and have managed it from Zebrugge to ski resort near to Salzburg by evening time but that's not pleasant driving .

I think 2 days leisurely would be plenty of time.

Any other thought or suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Stephanie

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
France
France
Europe
Dijon
Dijon
Cote d'Or, France
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Austria
Austria
Europe
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
3. Re: Driving from Uk to Tuscany or Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 03:18