We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
Road trip

We got married in August 2008 and for our first anniversary we fancy spending a few nights in Rome then hiring a car and doing a bit of a road trip round Italy.

We would love some suggestions for things we should definitely do, places we should stay and what to avoid.....

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,454 Reviews
from US$82.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$410.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
6,905 Reviews
from US$111.90*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,831 Reviews
from US$60.40*
US$67.10
capital district ny
Level Contributor
401 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip

head to Orvieto and Umbria. Is this your first trip? How much time do you have? What are your interests.

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip

Yes its our first trip to Italy. We love all food and drink so thats something we're really looking to try in Italy. Apart from that, we're open to suggestions....

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,346 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip

Before people can really help you they need to know how many days you will be in Italy and how many you want to spend touring.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
959 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip

You will get lots of suggestions here at TA of what to see in Rome so I thought I'd put in my 2 cents about your "road trip around Italy".

My wife and I found a gem of a B&B in Umbria back in April '05.

It is called El Marsam (www.elmarsam.com) and is run by a very hospitable couple from Baltimore. The town is called Umbertide (pronounced Umm Bear Ti Day) and is right off one of the main expressways north of Perugia. We took a train from Rome to Perugia and rented a car for a week.

Ask for the Artist's Studio room.

We used their home as a central point for day excursions (you need a car) into Siena, Florence, Cartona, Assisi, Gubio and others. The "Chianti Road" from Florence to Siena is awesome. Stop at one of the many vinyards and take a tour and tasting.

They offer dinner as an option and I strongly recommend at least one dinner with them. Both Mike and Ginda (Italian heritage) are terrific hosts and execellent cooks. Their wine is locally bottled and awesome.

They have a host of suggestions of places to visit and provide a booklet with maps, etc.

It was nice to hear someone speaking English after a day in the "real Italian" countryside.

You won't be disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip

Sorry, realised I had forgoten once I posted my reply. We are hoping for 4 days in Rome and then spend 10-14 days travelling

Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip

Thanks so much TripleTime, loads of great suggestions

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,346 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip

In 10-14 days you can see lots of things and still have time to 'chill out'. Avoid driving into Florence as there are complicated restricted areas. Drive to a nearby railway station and go in from there. There are places to stay in the countryside close to Florence where you could take a 'day off' from seeing things and relax - try to find one with a pool.

If you enter 10-14 day itinery in the go box you will find lots of helpful ideas. The main thing is to get a good guide book (I like the Eyewitness ones) and narrob down where you want to go.

Here are some ideas.

If you took the train from Rome to Florence you could spend 2-3 days there before hiring a car (go to the airport to do this so you do not get tangled in the restricted zones). From there you could go to Pisa (a day visit) and on to Lucca. Or you could go south to Sienna then across to Pisa and Lucca. From Lucca you could go to Bologna (or up the coast to La Spezia and up to Parma, Modena and then to Bologna) on the way seeing many beautiful villages when on the slower roads (be warned some of the slower roads are very slow). Or you could find a villa in Chianti country for a few days (put villas and country B&B's in go box). The possibilities are endless so your preferences are paramount.

I suggest you try to get your thoughts as to where you will go roughed out as soon as possible as the best places get booked early.

Come back for more help

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
8. Re: Road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 11:33