We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air travel to Italy

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
334 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Air travel to Italy

Some advice on Airlines and 1 hour connections.

I hope I can make this clear and I hope someone can help with advice.

6 of us are going to Italy in May. Flying into Venice and out of Rome in June. Now I would dearly love to fly non stop on Delta. But right now their prices are high. Way high. I have found 2 flights one for 731. on Alitalia. Arrive in Rome at 12:05 change planes and fly to Venice 1:15. Not crazy about flying with Alitalia as they have the habit of cancelling flights. The 2nd flight is with Austrian Airlines for 707. arrive in Vienna 8:35a fly to Venice at 9:30a. I'm not familiar with this airline. Does anyone know about this Airline?

And another question. Both airlines seem to think that they can get you to your connection in one hours time. Is this realistic? Would love to hear what some of your think. We are flying out of JFK

TIA

Maxine

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,553 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air travel to Italy

If you can't make the connection due to airlines' faults, they have to put you on another flight, costing them money (empty seats). You think they are in the business in order to lose money, having that kind of connection timing in their schedule?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,932 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air travel to Italy

Hi Maxine, I'd not book Alitalia until maybe 1 month out . I am not sure of your exact dates but I also found a flight that goes through Amsterdam which gives a longer layover time. I don't like one hour connections usually. It is true that they have to put you on the "next available flight" but the key word is "available". You need to look at the schedule to see how often a flight leaves etc.

You might also wait until 1 month out to see if there are any sales because of empty flights. I know Delta did that this winter.

My last suggestion is to look at 1800flyeurope.com

I have used them twice when they saved me about $300 on a Delta flight. You can look at their web site or call on the phone and there's a real person to help you.

Good luck with your planning.

My big decision now is which coat to take to Rome next week.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
334 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air travel to Italy

Thanks Laura, I got the prices from 1-800flyeurope.com and I also checked the next available flight for Alitalia. That's another reason why I don't want to book with them. The next flight was at 4 in the afternoon. You don't think that waiting for the month before as cutting things close? My dates are May 26th - Jun 13th.? I will will flyeurope just to see what they say. Tom wants me to wait a couple of weeks.

Thanks bibimbob for taking the time to respond also.

Maxine

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,932 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air travel to Italy

Just another thought Maxine, Have you looked at flights out of EWR too??

About waiting, I am not good about waiting 1 month out BUT for this Rome trip I noticed that ALL the prices dropped by $100-$200 at the 1 month mark.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
334 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air travel to Italy

Tom doesn't want to go out of EWR because we park our car in his bosses garage in Manhatten and then take a cab to the airport. This way no parking fees...I'll just wait another couple of weeks and then I'll book something. As my friend said to me when I spoke to her about the air. We already saved on the cruise because the price came way down. So I shouldn't make myself crazy with the airfare. I'm doing the booking for the 6 of us. I know she right but I just love a bargain...Maxine

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,932 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air travel to Italy

Maxine, Car service from Manhattan to EWR is not a prob . I do it all the time. In fact the airtrain to EWR is even easier but I understand if you like JFK then that's what you'll book.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
628 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air travel to Italy

Hi, just checked your dates and cities on Farecast.com and found flights for $711 on Austrian Airlines with the 1 hour layover, there is a Lufthansa flight with a 7 hour layover in Germany ($727), I think I'd take my chances with the 1 rather than 7 hour... just my preference. That is actually what I'm doing at Charles de' Gaulle on the way to Rome in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it works out! but there are flights leaving every hour to Rome so should get on something if we can't make the connection.

Hope all goes well for your trip, let us know what you do!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
334 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air travel to Italy

tufy,

Thanks. The Austrian flight sounds like the flight I saw on 1800flyeurope.com. You are brave, I hear that Charles DeGaul is a bear of an airport to get throught. I really would like to hear how your trip turns out.

Maxine

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
628 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air travel to Italy

I will report back on how it goes. The airport has it written out how to get from one place to another so hopefully we can follow it and get there on time, might be wishful thinking. I've heard the same stuff about Charles de' Gaulle airport....I'm just going to consider it part of the adventure of travel;-)

There is an airline forum on TripAdvisor, and I posted this question about my trip over there and some said it was doable and some said probably not... so you might go over there and see what they recommend.

BTW, I love to quit too, just haven't had any time...

10. Re: Air travel to Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 18:17