We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big changes on trenitalia

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Big changes on trenitalia

Trenitalia has just completely revamped their web site, and also introduced some interesting special fare offers for advance purchase on certain trains and certain routes. Some of the discounts are available only in 2nd class, and require purchase well in advance. One offer gives a 15% discount and requires a 7-day advance purchase. That's less advantageous than the Amica fare, and makes me wonder if the Amica fare will be phased out.

They also have a new discounted fare for one-day round trips on the AV trains, but only on routes that take longer than 3 1/2 hours. That seriously limits the usefulness, because if it takes three hours to get somewhere, you're unlikely to want to return the same day. It probably is designed for the Rome-Milan route, which is trying to cut into Alitalia's business on that route.

You can see some of the novelties on this site:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

The train schedule page has been improved in some ways, and has an easier way of choosing round-trips. However, one thing I miss is that it no longer has the "details" link, so there's no way to see intermediate stops.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,591 Reviews
from US$73.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,990 Reviews
from US$106.70*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,883 Reviews
from US$58.10*
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Big changes on trenitalia

It looks like the Amica fare is staying on, but the *major* change is that it is only allowed on ES*City, IC Plus, IC, ICN, Exp, CC, WL trains.

It is no longer valid on AV, AV Fast, ES*, ES* Fast, Excelsior and Excelsior E4 trains, i.e., on the trains most people take: ES and AV.

And the prices have gone up: Florence-Rome was 36.10 Euro in second class on an ES train; it is now 39.90 Euro, a 10% increase, more or less.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,695 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Big changes on trenitalia

Some fares have gone down (except that they haven't - it's obviously a mistake). Using Regionali in Italy, you can apparently now go from Monterosso in the Cinque Terre to stations in France from Nice to Avignon for the same price as you can get to Ventimiglia - €11.70. Not a hope! Any fare shown to a foreign destination which is not purchasable online needs to be ignored.

The loss of the 'details' information is very bad news for people who have to change trains, as there is now no indication of the time interval between trains. And people who don't know the relevant geography will have to interpret the sometimes rather cryptic abbreviations for stations.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
France
France
Europe
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Big changes on trenitalia

There are obviously still bugs in the system.

At the moment, it doesn't work at all, but I suspect that once they get the bugs out, "Details by selection" will show connection stations and times.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big changes on trenitalia

Yesterday when I tried the "details" link, it opened a section at the bottom of the page with some of the details, such as the time of arrival and departure at the intermediate stations. What seems to be totally missing is the possibility to see the intermediate stops on each train. I always looked at that for any regional train I was taking, because I wanted to know which was the last stop before mine. For example, the regional train from Bologna to Senigallia sometimes stops at Marotta and sometimes doesn't. I like to know whether it's going to stop there or not, so I know when I have to start gathering up my stuff. There's still the detailed schedule at the station, but if you have little time to make a connection, you may not be able to check it.

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Senigallia
Senigallia
Province of Ancona, Italy
Marotta
Marotta
Fano, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big changes on trenitalia

As Zerlina says, the Amica fare is now consigned to the slower and cheaper of the trains that require reservations. For the AV and ES* trains, as well as other premium trains, there is a new "Premium" fare that requires a 7-day advance purchase (instead of 1 day) and gives only a 15% discount (instead of 20%).

It looks as though trenitalia is trying to copy the British model and confuse the [word tripadvisor censors] out of us.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
261 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big changes on trenitalia

Well this is bad news for someone like me that will be arriving in Rome only 4 days before taking the train to Florence - no more Amica fare at all, and since I won't be there 7 days or more in advance, no discount at all! AND a higher fare.

Although, if they DO allow purchase with US CC's now, maybe I can try to buy our tickets ahead of time.

THANK YOU for the info!!!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big changes on trenitalia

The Amica fare is still available on the slower IC trains to Florence, but probably most people will opt for speed over price.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big changes on trenitalia

If anyone has success with a US credit card, I want to hear all the details: type of card, whether you used it more than once on the site, and whether it had Verified by Visa or similar security feature. As a matter of fact, I want to hear the same things if you're not successful. I'm compiling a list of what works and what doesn't.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big changes on trenitalia

I tried last night and got denied. I tried a Visa card, issued by Bank of America. I was trying to buy 4 tickets from Venice to Florence for May 13th.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big changes on trenitalia

Trenitalia has a phone number for purchasing tickets from outside Italy:

+39 06 68475475

The "+" is the universal international dialing code. If you can't dial a "+" on your phone, use your country's international code (011 in North America and 00 in most other countries).

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe