We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Lucca

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Milan to Lucca

We are going to Lucca from Milan.. Is it better to take the train in and then rent a car? or just go ahead and rent in Milan and drive to Lucca?

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,050 reviews
from US$77.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$419.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,840 reviews
from US$125.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,730 reviews
from US$114.30*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Lucca

It's your call.

www.trenitalia.com shows there are trains from Milan Centrale at 30 minutes past each hour, taking exactly 4 hours to get to Lucca with a change in Florence, costing €49.70 per person second class.

www.viamichelin.com says that Milan-Lucca is 280 km (175 miles), and that the trip would take about 3 hours along very boring autostrade (equivalent to US Interstates) at a cost of €21 got tolls and about €30 for fuel.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Lucca

I will be doing the same thing in September - Milan to Lucca - How was the train advice? We are leaning to the train as parking in Lucca seems a problem

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Lucca

Parking inside the walls of Lucca is a problem, but there are large parking lots just outside the walls.

Dallas
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan to Lucca

We are doing the same in a few short weeks - does it make any sense to pay for an additional flight into Pisa and rent a car there, in order to drive to Lucca?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,617 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan to Lucca

There are no flights from Milan to Pisa. Or to Florence.

Dallas
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milan to Lucca

I've been checking airlines and what you are saying confirms what I'd begun to suspect. I'm surprised...so I suppose it's time for Plan B. Or C, rather. Please tell me if you have any advice to give. Many thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milan to Lucca

I would suggest you take the bus from Milan airport to Milan Central station, and then a train to Lucca. It will be faster and less stressful than driving. Just buy the train tickets in Milan.

If you want ti have a car to see the Tuscan countryside (which is a good idea), rent it in Lucca.

Dallas
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milan to Lucca

Thank you - that is very helpful - I believe that's what we will do now.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milan to Lucca

sydneynick - your advice is much appreciated. Many thanks.

10. Re: Milan to Lucca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2009, 07:36